585,994 active members*
4,692 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Free software to measure SolidWorks files?

Free software to measure SolidWorks files?

I was given SolidWorks files to make my router. I don't have solid works and really only need to view the files to take measurments. SolidWorks viewer only allows you to view. But I need to measure grooves and such. Any recommendations?

E-drawing from SW will do it for you if the solid file gives you permission to measure. The creator of the solid have several options when saving the solid.

Bent

I can't seem to measure in edrawing. I can click with the measuring tape and select an area, but it doesn't show me anything. It must not have measuring enabled because the measure windows options are all greyed out.

Agree with Bent, if the author of the file did not restrict the user (you) from the measurment function in eDrawings you should be able to measure all lengths, angles etc. Also make sure the segment you are measuring is sufficiently magnified-sometimes too small an image will cause the pointer to snap to an adjacent surface or edge or not at all. You can also go to www.solidworks.com and make sure to download and install the most recent version. If that all fails then I'd send an email to the author of the file and verify they are not restricting the measurement feature. Possibly they want you to print or view the files only but don't want it too easy to measure from the cad file, thereby making it very simple for someone to duplicate or copy their work in great detail