585,743 active members*
5,132 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

24x24 "square" router build

Finally have enough build to start a thread. I got my plans from Rockcliff. Not really a step-by-step instructions by any means... But after some time looking at it I was able to figure out which direction to go with. I have some fancy ideas, but for now sticking with the basics and just be familiar with the basics before trying out new things.

My CNC plan is a 24" X axis, 24" Y axis, and a 7" Z axis; flying gantry with a semi-open table. Semi-open for added stiffness, since not the entire table can be touched with the tool anyways so might was well put "supports" on those areas. Cutting area roughly 16" x 16.5" x 7" (capable to cut 3" below the ground level). 4 motors 269oz Xylotex stepper motors total (2 motors for the X axis). Main projects would be wood, maybe try out a little plastic and carbon fiber in the future?? Also have a new Hitach 2 1/4 router everyone's talking about for the spindle, love it so far!!

I'm planning on putting hinges in the middle of the Y axis side supports so it can fold parallel with the X axis. This way it can be "folded" to save a little space during transportation/storage.

Unfortunately my new Xyoltex board got damaged a few days ago. So waiting to here back to see if it can be repaired. If it can't be repaired I was going to order a new board from them again, but I haven't heard from them in 1/2 a week so going to order from elsewhere. I usually get fast email before I bought their kit...

I have a simple solution to get a 4th axis (tilting Z axis) made cheaply and sturdy using a similar linear bearing setup as I'm currently using. I think it's very doable and very DIY friendly, but won't be messing with that till later later.

Anyways here's what I have so far: Y + Z axis Not much to look at yet. Comments/suggestions welcome!

Thanks,
    Nick

If it is a blown driver chip they will send you another board and then repair your original board and send it to someone who also needs a replacement board. You don't normally get your original board back. It cost me about $70usd when it happened to mine last year. Read the repair/replacement policy on their website for more details.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

it's one of the tiny resistors(?) that blew, shown in the pict:
    http://www.runtrod.com/files/1.jpg

That part glows like an LED for a second. I asked if it can be replaced, repaired or whatever. I understand that it may not be covered so that's why I asked them if it can be repaired... at least say they can't do anything so I know I should buy a new one right away instead of waiting around. Oh well, can't wait much longer on them so just buying from elsewhere this time...

finished the Z axis.

Also ordered a new 5 axis control board, might as well get a spare axis for potential future upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by nicanor76 View Post
    it's one of the tiny resistors(?) that blew, shown in the pict:
    http://www.runtrod.com/files/1.jpg

That part glows like an LED for a second. I asked if it can be replaced, repaired or whatever. I understand that it may not be covered so that's why I asked them if it can be repaired... at least say they can't do anything so I know I should buy a new one right away instead of waiting around. Oh well, can't wait much longer on them so just buying from elsewhere this time...
    That part in the picture actually looks like it is a surface mount LED.

Alan

ahh, I think you're right. It's so small, I thought it was a burnt out chip that got discolored. So if that part isn't fried, why would it just power on for 1/4 second then flick off right away. Either way it still doesn't answer why Xyoltex never responded to me email...

Quote Originally Posted by nicanor76 View Post
    ahh, I think you're right. It's so small, I thought it was a burnt out chip that got discolored. So if that part isn't fried, why would it just power on for 1/4 second then flick off right away. Either way it still doesn't answer why Xyoltex never responded to me email...
    I don't know maybe your documentation for the board will give you a clue what kind of indicator it is supposed to be.

Alan