584,861 active members*
4,894 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > 2d sketch to 3d shape Question

2d sketch to 3d shape Question

Hello to everyone,
    I have a question is there a way (software)to take a sketch 2d on paper and change it into a 3d model that I can machine. I have cad/cam which is capable of machining the shape if I can figure out how to creat the model.
    This is more of a art project and a goverment job. So Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.:wave:

Muskrat

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteR.Muskrat View Post
    Hello to everyone,
    I have a question is there a way (software)to take a sketch 2d on paper and change it into a 3d model that I can machine. I have cad/cam which is capable of machining the shape if I can figure out how to creat the model.
    This is more of a art project and a goverment job. So Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.:wave:

Muskrat
    Yes, this can be done fairly easily, or it can be more of a task, depending on what it is. You say you have cad/cam software. Which one? Can it do solids or surfacing? Can you tell us a bit about what you want to make? How about a copy of the 2D drawing? Maybe we can make the model for you if it's not too complicated, and show you how it was done.
    Hey, why's it going over there?!!

Cammotion,

I have OneCNC. Yes, it is capable of solids and surface. I have cut 3d shapes before but most were customer generated models. I have created simple models before but were more or less simple shape(Square,rectangles,circles). I do not have a sketch yet, maybe a few day before I get one.
    But basicly what I am wanting to do is create something very much like what is on a penny in lager size (Abe). It would be nice to know what it takes to do this or even something more elaberate like a bust or statue. This is just a fun project for me at the moment so no hurry and thank you for any and all help and advice.

Muskrat