584,842 active members*
4,196 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > DynaCNC > Hypertherm Powermax 1000 and Dyna4000 controller?

Hypertherm Powermax 1000 and Dyna4000 controller?

Hey all,

I just stepped up and purchased a Hypertherm Powermax 1000 (hand torch model) for my 4'x8' DynaCNC table and I'm looking for some help.

The cable provided by DynaCNC plugs right into the back of the Hypertherm and according to the Dyna4000 manual, there are also two wires (green/w and green) that are connected to J15 and J16 inside the torch.

Plugged those in, turned everything on, clicked the "torch on/off" button in Mach3 and... nothing. Torch doesn't fire. I can hear a relay click inside the controller when I click the "torch on/off" button in Mach3 but sparks don't fly.

Is there something I have to do with the hand torch trigger switch? is there a workaround or a bypass of the switch that someone knows about but I can't seem to find in a search?

btw...I had my miller plasma w/hand torch hooked up and it worked fine so I'm thinking I just haven't done everything to the Hypertherm yet. any advice?

Thanks,
    Michael G.

It sounds like you do not have the correct configuration in Mach3. Check the ports and pins for output #1. It should be: Port 2 Pin 1 to fire the torch. If I remember correctly the plug was cut off to run your small Miller torch. The other problem may be that the pins on the plug side was wired wrong or that Hypertherm has changed the pinouts for the plug for firing the torch.

The only other thing may be that the THC option is off on the handset. If it worked on the Miller as you stated it sounds like the wiring is incorrect for the Hypertherm. Check with Hypertherm and make sure the pinouts are the same as the plug.

Like any good engineer would, before I cut any wires to hook up my Miller, I made a wiring diagram of the original cable noting the locations of each wire. Then when I bought the Hypertherm, I also got new pin contacts for the original plug from Tyco Electronics and put all of the wiring back to what it was from DynaCNC.

I followed the Dyna 4000 manual for wiring the J15 and J16 connections and double, triple and quadruple checked that the wiring from the controller to the Hypertherm was correct. Everything is correct according to the manual.

The plug from DynaCNC has pins in the 3, 4, 5, 6, 12 and 14 positions of the connector. The Hypertherm has the female connections in the 3, 4, 12, 13 (chassis ground) and 14 positions. Then there are two wires from the DynaCNC cable (green/white and green) that connect to the J15 and J16 terminals on the Hypertherm board.

From what I can gather on multiple forums, the 3 and 4 positions of the Hypertherm have something to do with the trigger lockout. I'm not sure if it needs a jumper wire or what???

If it is as simple as a jumper wire I'll do it but I'd like to hear from others who have done it first before I make any connections.

mg

I got an email response from Jim Colt from Hypertherm. Liability issues prevent Hypertherm from telling me how to defeat the trigger lockout on the hand torch (completely understand Jim, thank you very much for the email response and background info anyways though).

So Dave, I'll ask you. Have you used a Hypertherm Powermax 1000 with a hand torch on one of your machines in the past and if you have, how did you defeat the trigger lockout? Is it supposed to work as a "plug 'n' play" system from the factory or do I need to make any changes due to the hand torch being used?

Thanks,
    Michael G.

I just hooked up my 1000 with hand torch and you splice the wires from your relay into the orange and purple wires coming from the hand torch inside the little black cover on the side of the unit.

I got it figured out. I took the red and white wires out of the J19 connector in the Hypertherm and spliced them into the orange and purple wires from the torch lead. If I ever do get a machine torch, I can easily put everything back.

MG

Just for everyones info...the Hypertherm Powermax units (1000, 1250 and 1650) have a rear panel interface connection that offers connections for plasma start and arc transfer signal. The start input on the rear panel connector only operates with a machine torch installed....it is inactive with a hand torch for safety reasons.

Many users like to use a hand torch on their machines so that they do not have to switch back and forth between a machine torch and a hand torch (extra cost).....if you use a hand torch on a cutting machine....you will have to access the plasma start signal by other means.....some jumper into the trigger switch connections in the torch handle. It is best to get this advice from the manufacturer of your cutting machine....as the Hypertherm tech service people can not offer advice for bypassing this safety feature!

Best regards, Jim Colt

Hypertherm

So... all we have to do is figure out what the difference is when connecting a machine torch then when connecting a hand torch (as far as wiring with the pins and what not) make some jumpers, add or remove a wire, and walla the unit thinks the hand torch is a machine torch.

Anyone do this yet?

I am looking into doing it, and if I figure it out before I find that someone else has, I will post it up here.

I can wire into the trigger, but it would be nice to use the start and xfer signals from the connector.

DynaCNC 4000 Manual

I have a Dyna with the 4000 controller but recieved the Dyna1000 manual. Therefore I had no instructions about the Green/w and Green wires that plug into the PowerMax 1000 controller. Does anybody have a PDF version of the 4000 manual they can send to me?

4000 controller manual

I have the manual in PDF you're looking for (if you still need it).

email me [email protected] and I'll send it to you

Michael G.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyHill View Post
    I have a Dyna with the 4000 controller but recieved the Dyna1000 manual. Therefore I had no instructions about the Green/w and Green wires that plug into the PowerMax 1000 controller. Does anybody have a PDF version of the 4000 manual they can send to me?
    Hi Andy,
    I have a 6000 with a Cutmaster 52. My green wires in the torch went to cutting voltage sensors. Green goes to electrode pin and green/w went to the work#1(clamp) pin. At least that was my scenerio.

Mike

On POWERMAX1000 with Machine CNC output plug, please specify the plug pinouts finctions?

How to get the document sabout that?

All of the interface information is in the Powermax1000 operators manual. Manuals are shipped with every Hypertherm plasma system....if you do not have the manual go to Choose your region and language | Hypertherm , click on download library (at the top of the page) choose system type (Powermax1000) then choose manuals, then operators manual.

Pins 3 and 4 are plasma start.....these will only function with the machine torch....with a hand torch they are inactive as the hand torch has its own trigger switch. With the plasma on and air pressure adequate....connecting p[in 3 to 4 will start the plasma. These are not polarity dependant.

Pins 12 and 14 are a relay contact output ....this contact closes when the arc is transferred and cutting the plate. This is used to start machine motion or the height control.

Pins 5 and 6 are 50:1 divided arc voltage for use with some height controls. Raw DC arc voltage can be accessed on the main circuit board inside the Powermax1000, information for these connections is also in the manual.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by spotlite View Post
    On POWERMAX1000 with Machine CNC output plug, please specify the plug pinouts finctions?

How to get the document sabout that?

Do you have a manual for the controller?