584,871 active members*
5,112 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: okuma LB15

Page 1 of 5 123

okuma LB15

Does anybody know the aproximate weight of an Okuma LB15? I'm condidering purchasing a used one and need to know for rigging expenses.

Thanks

Hi NJC,

Just picked up one of these myself. Would estimate weight to be around 8500-9000Lbs but that's just a guess. Although hefty, It didn't feel as heavy as the Mori SL-3 that was replaced and weight estimates on that were around 9500 -10K. Again this is only a guess based on what I could dig up.

Hope this helps

Looking through my manual yesterday and found the weights, with tailstock is 4500Kg (~9900Lbs) without tailstock 4200Kg.

Thanks for the info nlh! Your guess was pretty close. I went ahead and bought the machine a couple of days ago, this will be my first CNC lathe. I'm looking forward to getting this machine up and running, apparently there is an intermittent problem with the control panel. I don't have the machine yet, have to look into it more when I get it. I was thinking of retrofitting it with Mach 3, I'm in the process of updating my old Prototrak retrofitted Bridgeport with Mach3 at the moment. Do you have yours running yet? How do you like it? I understand they are very good quality machines with good support.

Thanks,
    Scott

NJC,

I think you will like the lathe. I have not cut a part yet as I just powered it up Friday but from the process of familiarizing myself with the control, etc I think it will be quite easy to setup and run. One thing to point out, you don't need to zero return your X and Z axis when powering the machine up, it never loses it's position unless there is an electrical or mechanical problem somewhere. If I were you I would try fixing the control panel issue, more than likely a bad or loose connection, could be a faulty switch, etc.
    Did it come with manuals? There should be connection diagrams in the back of one of the books, can't remember which one and don't be afraid to give Okuma or a local dealer a call. So far any question I call them with was quickly answered with no problems. Here is a website that will help you setup your control, http://www.countyhistory.com/rbcreat...perations.html

Good luck

Talking Absolute encoders.

The absolute encoders are great. Never have to zero.
    Not wrapped in the OSP human interface.
    Must get rid of the paper tape reader. I'm running out of paper.
    Damned accurate machine though. LC20 I think is on the door. Must look.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunatly, I don't think the manuals are with the machine, do you know if Okuma still produces them?

LB15

:wee:Hi All:
    Hey if you need some manuals for the LB15 or any other okuma I can dig some up in PDF. , as far as updating the control. I had a customer update an okuma MCV16A double column with a Mach III control and in the long run it was more headaches, MONEY & down time than it was worth. Looking back they say never again. If you are serious about updating your machine check these guys out. They do great work and know what time it is when it comes to CNC retro fits and updates.
    http://www.infinityrebuild.com/index.htm
    any mechanical or electrical device that transmits or modifies energy to perform or assist in the performance of human tasks

Okuma tech, it would be great to have the manuals for the machine, would also be helpfull to have wiring schematics, if you could did them up, I would really appreciate it. Infinity Rebuild looks great but also looks like it would be pretty costly to do a full rebuild, I will contact them about an updated controller though. This is my first CNC lathe and I didn't pay alot for it, I need to keep it somewhat simple for now till I get me feet wet.

Thanks for all the input guys!:wave:

Okuma Tech,

Concerning upgrading, I have the same thoughts on the MACH3. I have seen first hand a good machine that was supposedly professionally upgraded with this software and has not run right since and the "professional/s" can't figure it out.
    Anyway, I was reading through the manuals and it was said that newer OSP software versions could be installed similar to upgrading a Win95 PC to Win98 or XP. Is this so? What would be gained? My operating system year is, IIRC, 8/1/83. What's the usual cost for something like this?
    Also, can control system tapes be loaded onto a PC for safe keeping and then if a reinstall is needed, download directly from the PC?

Thanks

nlh,
    I printed out the users manual from your earlier post, is that the origional manual or someone elses instructions? Great information, very specific!

Also, maybe someone can answer a few questions?

The reason I was looking to retrofit it to Mach 3 or somthing like it is so I can load a gcode file from one of the many cam softwares out there. I'm hearing alot about tapes? What are the tapes, are they the predecessor to an RS232 port? Is there a way to input cam files to the existing controller?

Thanks,
    Scott

Question Will this work?

I have no idea how good or bad this is.
    Just googled it 'cos I know they exist.
    http://www.rym.com/manufacturing/Hardware/btr.html

Neil,

Those are great BTR's. I have them on several of my older tape only machines. Very easy to setup and configure. One board fits pretty much any machine out there, you just need the correct adapters and cables. I don't work for them, just a very satisfied end user.

Scott,

My LB15 has both a tape reader and an RS-232 port. From what I've read setting up and getting the RS-232 to read/write on the OSP control can be quite tedious. I haven't tried it yet myself but doubt it can be much different from a Mazak M2.
    Other's don't bother with the onboard port and just buy a BTR from the above manufacturer and bypass the tape reader. This is probably the least frustrating method but also the most expensive.
    To put it simply, you can use a CAM program to upload Gcode programs and you won't need to retrofit your control to do it. That is how I do it every day. If you have onboard RS-232 and can take the time to figure it all out you can probably make a cable for around $10 in Radio Shack parts. The BTR will run around $1500-1600.
    The manual is one I came across while searching on "The Zone" for Okuma info. It is not mine. I saved a copy to my PC in case the owner decided to pull it down.

(these are my opinions based on experiences with other machines)

Hope this helps,
    Nate

Thanks Neil and Nate, that's just what I was looking for, I just didn't know it:banana: 1500-1600 dosn't sound bad either to not have to retrofit it. Now I just have to see if I can get the controller working correctly. I don't have the machine yet, hoping to have it in a week or so.

Thanks guys,
    Scott

Post Manual for 5020

OK fellas:
    I have a complete training manual for the 5020 control electrical for lathes and machining centers. The file is 9 Meg so if you want it just drop me an e-mail that I can send it to. Hope that this will help.
    any mechanical or electrical device that transmits or modifies energy to perform or assist in the performance of human tasks

Great! Thanks alot Okuma Tech

Scott

Okuma Tech,

What's the difference between the 5000 and 5020 controls? Just software or hardware as well.

Thanks

Okuma LB15

I run 8 Okuma lathes daily, 3 are LB15's with 5000 or 5020 controls and also an LR duel turret with a 5020.

The LB15 is a great machine, but the worst possible choice for a Mach conversion. (Detailed explaination omitted.)

The 5000 or 5020 comes from the primary CPU. A Hitachi 5000 (a licensed copy of the Motorola 68000 @ 8MHz ) or the Hitachi 5020 (which equates to a Motorola 68020).

Good luck with them and treat them with care as both the 5000 and 5020 controls have been out of production for years now and certain spares no longer exist. If the CRT goes you will get an LCD retrofit, it works but its not the same. Servo amps and Spindle drives are done on a factory rebuild - you send it in for repair - be prepaired for 30 day down time.

I also run a MC4-VAE-HS an extended travel, fully enclosed, 30 tool ATC 12,000 RPM version of the MC4-VA Vertical machining center (using an OSP5020M). In a word, NICE. Only machine I have used that "I" like better was a Mori Seiki SV50B.

Okuma Tech!

I am in desperate need for the manuals of the Okuma LB 15 CNC Lathe.
    I was wondering if you could be so kind to send me a pdf at: [email protected]
    thanks fellow okuma man.

Paulo Marin

Quote Originally Posted by skullworks View Post
    I run 8 Okuma lathes daily, 3 are LB15's with 5000 or 5020 controls and also an LR duel turret with a 5020.

The LB15 is a great machine, but the worst possible choice for a Mach conversion. (Detailed explaination omitted.)

The 5000 or 5020 comes from the primary CPU. A Hitachi 5000 (a licensed copy of the Motorola 68000 @ 8MHz ) or the Hitachi 5020 (which equates to a Motorola 68020).

Good luck with them and treat them with care as both the 5000 and 5020 controls have been out of production for years now and certain spares no longer exist. If the CRT goes you will get an LCD retrofit, it works but its not the same. Servo amps and Spindle drives are done on a factory rebuild - you send it in for repair - be prepaired for 30 day down time.

I also run a MC4-VAE-HS an extended travel, fully enclosed, 30 tool ATC 12,000 RPM version of the MC4-VA Vertical machining center (using an OSP5020M). In a word, NICE. Only machine I have used that "I" like better was a Mori Seiki SV50B.
    Thanks for the information Skullworks.

Called Robert Morris today to get information on RS-232 setup and asked the tech about drive repair. According to him they no longer repair the BDU (early 80's) drives but will only sell a brand new BDL drive (may have that backwards) as Okuma can no longer source replacement parts to repair them.

I imagine that would be quite pricey. Will definately by babying this lathe.

Page 1 of 5 123