584,800 active members*
4,822 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Taig Mills / Lathes > Finished Enclosure! Taig CNC-Pictures!
Page 1 of 2 12

Talking Finished Enclosure! Taig CNC-Pictures!

I'm not going too go into a lengthy discussion about this. But here she is, what was once a cabinet waiting too be thrown out is now a great enclosure! It's finished for the most part with some little things left. The little things left too do is seal some areas that leak. But that shouldn't be too hard too fix. I will be adding more too the outside, E-Stop, Spindle controller etc....

My brand new pump from Surpluscenter is amazing (Thanks Hoss) and my filtration system has too be one of the best designs around. It hands down has too be the best. There is no mess, no chips in the tank, no mess.....Beautiful drainage.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi5rBDHCEy0"]YouTube - New Coolant Pump/Enclosure[/ame]

Good job. Drains well and no chips in the pump. It must be nice and quiet now too.

Maybe look at a new vise? A ground screwless jobbie would be a big improvement. A lot more solid. Like one of these.
    http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...591&category=3
    or the 3" one.

Milling eye recesses?

Serge

Omg, It's super quiet. Barely here the pump caused it's in the coolant and the spindle you can barely here now because of the roof. I turned on the spindle during the video towards the end.

Yep! I already bought a 3 inch Precision vise from Ebay, I just need too get something too clamp it down or make something. It has the holes on the side.

Yes, but also a pocket I designed for my other piece I make.

-Jason

Jason,

This clamp idea came from LMS. You could adjust the size if necessary to work with your vise.

Alan
    Attached Files Attached Files

vise

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedsCustom View Post
    Omg, It's super quiet. Barely here the pump caused it's in the coolant and the spindle you can barely here now because of the roof. I turned on the spindle during the video towards the end.

Yep! I already bought a 3 inch Precision vise from Ebay, I just need too get something too clamp it down or make something. It has the holes on the side.

Yes, but also a pocket I designed for my other piece I make.

-Jason

speed,
    hey long time no...

i have a solution for mounting a tool makers vise. It is a mounting plate that has the vise prmenantly mounted to it. It is fairly self aligning for quick removal an remount. Similar to my 4th axis stuff if you recall back. You were involved in the thread.

Basically a plate of aluminum and (4) x1/4-20 button head cap srews.

I will take pictures withing the next day or two if you would like.

Thanka Alan, I'll see what I can whip up!

Under-Dog, Please do post. OMG, my vise came in today. I just ordered it 2 days ago! I was expecting at least a week.

-Jason

Super sweet setup there....

Really like the drainage and mill mount setup. Only thing that jumps out at me is that it might be nice to have a window in front of the machine to watch it do it's thing... other than that super nice enclosure!!! Peace...

Pete Matos
    [email protected]
    865-363-9218

Thank you, the drain is my favorite part. I use too clean up so much and spill everything, I'm proud of my design. I am actually going too install PLexiglass in the front. Just working out other things too!

I'm glad you like it, it really completes everything!

-Jason

Acondit- Hey, I took the measurements and made my part today: I hope I can cut it using Meshcam. I have yet too cut anything 3-D....Even though it's not, I want too cut in different ways then just 2D. Thanks for the Data sheet, part looks good. Again, hope I can cut it.

-Jason

Acondit- Hey, I took the measurements and made my part today: I hope I can cut it using Meshcam. I have yet too cut anything 3-D....Even though it's not, I want too cut in different ways then just 2D. Thanks for the Data sheet, part looks good. Again, hope I can cut it.

-Jason
    I hope it works out well.

By the way I also really like your drain setup.

Alan

vise

Basically an alum plate. Drilled and tapped for BHCS. The holes are right art the edge of the vise so they hold it from moving at all side to side. The caps obviosly sinch it down.

If I were to make it again.............I had only a small piece of aluminum. I would make it lonh enough to have Tnut mounting holes on the ends as well so I could rotate the vise 90 degrees and mount that way as well. However I have never had a need for that. All the setups I do work fine this way. But just for the sake of flexability I would consider what I mentioned having 2 sets of mounting holes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vise 1.jpg   vise 2.jpg  

This is very temporary until I get Cut3D from Tony at vectric (Which I may add is an amazing program). I made this mount today, very sturdy but only temporary since I will be making larger cuts in the future! So no one worry I designed blocks for the mounts I'll post picture soon!

I have some leaking issues now with full coolant. I mean, the biggest area is the doors. Instead of them being on top and over the bottom pan, there before and under. So anything that gets on the doors and drips falls down, So I designed this flanged guard from some "L" shape aluminum thinking it would not cause anything too leak, still leaks! What I need too do is find rubber gaskets or liner for doors, bathrooms, whatever and seal it up!

Safety First

Nice job speedscustom...I understand the hold down for your vice is temporary, but for your safety couldn't you just drill holes on the ends of a round stock that would fit through the available holes of the vice and use screws to hold the vice via the round stock with holes on the ends of them? other than that niiice job...cool

Well, I would too go out and buy the stock etc...I mean, right now this works just fine and I don't plan on keep it like this.

Also, OMG! I need too seal the damn door. When I run large cutters and coolant, the thing leaks like crazy because it's not sealed all that well by the door. It runs on the channel and funnels into the corner, seeping through the cracks! Ah!!! I need too fix it!

-Jason

I'm inspired. Nice work man!

Well, I would too go out and buy the stock etc...I mean, right now this works just fine and I don't plan on keep it like this.

Also, OMG! I need too seal the damn door. When I run large cutters and coolant, the thing leaks like crazy because it's not sealed all that well by the door. It runs on the channel and funnels into the corner, seeping through the cracks! Ah!!! I need too fix it!

-Jason

The slot in your vise does sit a bit higher than mine. Makes for much longer screw shank and some flex.

Mine works fine for me. I work with very soft materials on small parts with small cutters. If I felt I was going to have more forces involved I would make a similar setup but with sleeves over the screws that have a rim that creates a deeper engagement into the slot on the vise(deep as possible).

Under-Dog, so my vise is suppose too have the Pin method. Where a block with a pin is inserted into the holes and then tightened down too the table: I plan on making these once I get Cut3D from Vectric.

Anyway, I'm going too remove all the caulk by the door because it does no good and find some rubber door seal or whatever and line in by the doors. Then I need too make some rubber flaps that are longer and will let the coolant flow back too the center of the pan (From the doors)

-Jason

Glad to see another paintball machinist with a Taig! Your setup looks pretty good. I'm getting ready to make a new enclosure for my Taig this summer. One thing you'll want to do is make some type of way covers for the X-axis at least. With flood coolant, it likes to carry all the swarf into the cracks and I've had a few instances where the X-axis actually bound up because of chips worked their way between the ways. Here's a thread detailing that mess that I worked around: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...ht=taig+covers

Also you might want to beef up your motor covers. I got some cheapy Ziploc (or whatever) containers from Wal-Mart and cut them to fit over the motors. They're simply held in place by a rubber band. Its really cheap, simple and effective. You can see them in the pics in that other thread.

This summer (if/when I get the chance) I want to replace the stock motor with a variable speed DC motor with its on/off and speed controlled in Mach 3. Also want to put the coolant pump on a computer controlled relay as well. I have most of the materials (including materials for the new stand/enclosure) but just haven't had the time yet (free time to build it, or down time I can afford on the mill) to do it all. Hah, thats one thing about doing machine-work in paintball, you'll never run out of buddies or projects to do!

Hah yep, I hear ya man. Anyway, great idea on the x-axis protection. I'm going too have too do that! Really nice design there

I'm still setting up everything, but i first need too get rid of all the customers so I can say ok "Now I need too do this and this too the machine" You know?

I still have lots too do as well.

-Jason

leaky problem

SpeedsCustom how about using a rubber membrane that hangs about 1/2" around the doors edges (this maybe tricky closing the door for the membrane will pop out when opening the doors and may be a pain to close...but the rubber membrane is a start). or a transparent shower curtain cut to fit inside your enlclosure and positioned in front of your machine possibly a couple inches in front of the enclosure doors. if your looking for motor covers try hoss's idea here:

http://www.hossmachine.info/Videos10.html#videos57&58

take a look at how hoss makes motor covers for his steppers

and maybe this for way covers

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV-eHIGzMPg&feature=related"]YouTube - Leadscrew cover for your Sherline mill[/ame]

What may be good for sherline may be good for taig...with a little tweaking of course. May be this idea can work with any machine if anyone thinks it through...

Page 1 of 2 12