585,744 active members*
4,991 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Lang Chip Removal Fan

Lang Chip Removal Fan

I'm curious if anyone has an opinion on these, experiences, etc.

http://www.bigkaiser.com/kpt_pdfs/Lang%20Chip%20Fan.pdf

My cost $210.00us

Interesting concept; have you bought one or waiting for some opinions?

I may look in to it and risk a few dollars.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I've seen them used, don't know if they work. The company that i saw them on had a bunch of pallet changing machines, and they were on all of those.

This is kinda funny. I just ordered one today for my Robodrill with a pallet changer. I got the 10" one and a big plus end mill holder for it. It was almost $500 for the two so I will tell you next week when I get it if it was worth it or not. If not we will just use it as a fan in the shop, 8k and open the door.

I have several of them..Love them..never a problem..Had them for years..

Just make sure you use them in an enclosed machine..

And don't crap your pants first time it fires..

Sounds like a helicopter taking off in your shop..

Oh and make sure you have clearance both before your spin them up..and after you spin them down..
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Got my fan today and had to replace my broken lock lines after I tuned it on the first time. The chip fan works great and I am very impressed with its performance. Its the 10" model so I just make a horse shoe tool path around the table a 8000rpms and the chips and coolant are pretty much gone. But I would not use one of these if your machine has an open top or not fully enclosed. For me it’s on a pallet changer machine so now the pallet comes out ready to switch the parts out and no air is needed.

QUESTION

Do they work with a Side Mount Tool Changer?

The blades fold down when they are not spinning so I guess a 10" fan is 5" long folded???

You guys making all sorts of encouraging comments are going to finish up costing me a few hundred bucks.

Yes the blades fold down and together when not in use. I would say the blades are about 4.5" long and probably about 6" total tool length from the end off the tool holder to the tip of the blades. I ordered mine so it would fit in a regular .750 end mill holder. Just move you coolant line back before you turn it on or it will do it for you. They do make a smaller unit should be about 2" shorter

DO NOT TURN OFF WITHOUT Z HOME.

i had an operator decided to move the spindle down closer to the table,which had a vise and a part in it.
    which happened to be the place the program stopped and when the blades folded down due to decreased spin they hit the work piece and shattered.

the distance to workpiece should be closely observed

i need to get a repair kit

simple concept, sound did shock me on the first use

Cool What is this?

Quote Originally Posted by wms View Post
    I have several of them..Love them..never a problem..Had them for years..

Just make sure you use them in an enclosed machine..

And don't crap your pants first time it fires..

Sounds like a helicopter taking off in your shop..

Oh and make sure you have clearance both before your spin them up..and after you spin them down..

Can anyone post a picture or video of how one of these units work? I may be like Geof. Sounds enticing!!:wee:
    Just a good ol' boy, never meanin' no harm.
    Joe

Pure genus!

I checked all over the internet for a video and couldn't find one. I'd love to see this in action.

Smile Here's a video, bout a year old.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PSqE7p4-CPw"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PSqE7p4-CPw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

Mic6,
    Welcome...and here is a assist..
    Gary
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSqE7p4-CPw"]YouTube - Lang Chip Fan[/ame]

Try this: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSqE7p4-CPw"]lang[/ame] Cell phone video warning... turn your sound down!!

EDIT: This thread has two pages? Who knew.

Tim the "tool man" Taylor would be impressed. I am!! I will have to buy one to try it out.
    Just a good ol' boy, never meanin' no harm.
    Joe

fan

Dangit, I was looking for information, not trying to help a bunch of people =)

The boss (dad) thinks it is too much $$ for what it does.

Ah well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gromit68 View Post
    .....The boss (dad) thinks it is too much $$ for what it does.

Ah well.

Thanks
    Wrong approach, my advice is don't follow Dad on this one. The cost should be compared with the value of the time it saves; if it knocks 30 seconds off the reload time for the machine and your shop rate is $1.00 a minute you figure out how many times you have to reload before it has paid for itself.

Of course you do have to add in the cost of replacing Locline it seems.

Hum, The fan cost about the same as 40 gallons of fuel and it will save you about a short minute per load on your cycle time. I'm still scatching my head!! My fan works great for my application, short parts with lots of pocketing and drilling and the operator only blows air now to clean off the pallet after removing the parts. 8000RPM and 600IPM only take 5 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Kool Parts View Post
    Mic6,
    Welcome...and here is a assist..
    Gary
    YouTube - Lang Chip Fan
    Thanks Gary, I didint realize how crappy the sound would turn out. Sounds fine on my phone. Must be an upload thing I guess.

chip fan other than lang

looking for an impeller or blade type fan for a vertical cnc with a diameter under 8". Other than Lang Clean-Tec, which I use now. Very nice fan but lose a spring on a sidewinder tool changer good chance of loosing a blade or much worse the little housing nubs that hold the springs

Thanks in advance

Calvin

Page 1 of 2 12