585,992 active members*
5,349 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Coolant, mixing in more water

We use Castrol Hysol EP soluable and after a couple of weeks of evaporation and topping up the refractometer reading goes off the scale.

I was told by Castrol and the rep that you shouldnt top off with neat water.

Is this true? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.

Absolutely, the coolant stays as the water evaporates off. My coolant rep was telling me one of his customers added 35 pails of straight water in a month, with only a couple of mixed coolant. You will need to add water more than mixed coolant in some machines.

I have a mill with a 7 gallon reservoir and I add with about 1-2% coolant and it keeps the refrac reading at around 5%.
    Live free or die

That is correct. Generally, only the water evaporates. The coolant tends to stay. Think about it like salt water. The salt does not evaporate with the water (well a little does). If all the water evaporates, only the salt will remain.

Here in Arizona where the summer temps are 100*+ and the humidity is 5%, I can replace 5 gallons of water a day in the machine. I also replace 1.5 gallons in me.

Quote Originally Posted by Caprirs View Post
    ...I also replace 1.5 gallons in me.
    Make sure you check with the refractometer so you don't overdo it.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Make sure you check with the refractometer so you don't overdo it.
    What is considered ideal on the Brix scale?

Geof; As you know you can rehydrate with with copious amounts beer. It has been my experience that the liquid level is self regulating. As I've gotten more experienced (older) I do the regulating thing more often. lol

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD ZASTROW View Post
    Geof; As you know you can rehydrate with with copious amounts beer. It has been my experience that the liquid level is self regulating. As I've gotten more experienced (older) I do the regulating thing more often. lol

Dick Z
    We`are probably going to get lambasted for hijacking.

I find in hot weather, with the type and strength of beer I like to drink, intoxication tends to precede rehydration. You need weak Australian or New Zealand weasel **** for successful rehydration.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Sorry, I have been on paternity leave for a couple of weeks. Thanks for your answers, I have just topped up using water and got the refractometer readings back on the scale (roughly 5%). One thing I found immediately is that the coolant clears from the windows more quickly now so the ops can see whats going on. Hopefully this will save us a few pennies too as the oil price rockets..... Thanks again.

Smelly.