584,846 active members*
4,076 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: locking up

locking up

i have a china machine LT-1325 cnc.
    the steeper motors have started to lock up at higher speeds. they didn't use to.
    not just when running but also when toggling. if i slow the toggle speed way down it doesn't lock but there is a noticeable bump every so often. the bump is random. I make orthotics so the use is very repetitive . could the steeper motors need replacing?

Re: locking up

Maybe cleaning and lubricating the rails and screws would help. Sounds like there is some mechanical resistance to free movement.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

thank you for the reply. lubrication was the first thing I tried.
    when that didnt work i took the belts off the steeper motors so they would run free and still have the same problem. the odd thing is it happens on all axis?

That being the case, I would be looking at the electrical connections to the stepper drivers, or maybe a computer problem. Power supply problem? It is not likely that the stepper motors have failed, not impossible, but not likely.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I think you are correct. I put the machine in a position where i could toggle all three axis at the same time and they all glitched at the same time. I will look into what you said and post the findings. your help is very much appreciated.

it appears to be fixed. I put a meter on the power supply and the out put voltage did not change when the machine glitched. so i unhooked the computer to try on another cnc machine. long story but that didnt work so i hooked it back up and now there is no glitch? the computer connects to the cnc via USB. maybe connection? i think most likely a glitch in Mach 3 and turning the computer off for a while fixed it? well at least for now.

Maybe just a bad connection, you never know exactly when you don't find the problem. Happy to hear it's fixed.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA