585,973 active members*
4,139 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Rhino 3D > Recommend this software?

Recommend this software?

Do you recommend this software? Why? Why not?

Yes!

A very good modeler for a very good price!
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)
    http://www.homecnc.info

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

We use Rhino exclusively for surfacing our fixtures. We used to use Cadkey with Fastsurf, but Rhino (even 3 years ago) had way more functionality, and was more reliable. Currently we have 11 seats of version 3, with more expected in the future. One of the benefits of Rhino is the ease with which it is customizable. I have written close to 80 custom commands, and a dozen Visual Basic programs to run within Rhino.

One thing Rhino is not: a parametric modeler with construction history. It does not do what SolidWorks or Inventor does, as far as parametrics and histories, but it does work with solids. Basically any surface file you create, once it becomes a closed polysurface, then takes on the properties of a solid.

Also, boolean operations are possible on open surfaces too. This was something Cadkey couldn't do.

Another huge advantage Rhino has is the Rhino newsgroup. You can voice your questions, or concerns directly to the company president, or any of the programmers. If you are stuck modeling something, help is only minutes away, 24 hours a day 7 days a week. If you have an idea for a cool new command, just suggest it. There are eager scripters like myself that will write you a command free of charge, or it may show up in a future release of Rhino.

As for cost, it lists for $895 US, but we buy it from www.ob.com for a lot less ($580 US). One last piece of good news is that there are no annual maintanence fees. When a new version comes out, you are welcome to try it, and if you like it, you can buy it for a reduced cost. If you don't see the need for it, you don't have to buy it.

Dan

We've had Rhino for quite a few years now, though we never used to use it. We had Rhino since v1, but back then we didn't really do any CAD work, just CAM mostly and whatever small amounts of CAD we did, I did in Mastercam. We used to only use it for translating Iges files that wouldnt come into Mastercam correctly, rhino's import and export kick ass!

With the release of Rhino 3, and us being in the market for a CAD system,we decided to upgrade our 1.1 to 3. I gotta say, I'm liking this program alot . The functionality is just awesome, and user friendliness is also wonderful. If you have some previous CAD experience, you will sink your teeth into Rhino in no time at all. I do have some doubts about it's actual accuracy(?) though....though these just might be issues I'm having as a "new" user just really getting to know this program now. I just finished a job yesterday that I built in Rhino and it went really well. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on more jobs to build with this puppy!

You can't go wrong with a price like that either
    You can't live forever, but can you be dead forever.....

http://www.rhino3d.com/accuracy.htm

This should addess your accuracy concerns.

Dan

Thank you all for your time. I am going to order it. I do have some point clouds I would like to turn into a model. Is this possible in Rhino?

There are plug-ins which make this process much easier. Check out:

http://www2.rhino3d.com/resources/default.asp?language=

for a list of available plug-ins.

Dan