585,922 active members*
3,722 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Emco f1 mill conversion help

Red face Emco f1 mill conversion help

I bought an Emco F1 mill a year ago and tried to use it, but was not happy with the control. I since have started to put together bits and pieces for a PC based retrofit. So far I have been going down the DC servo route, which was a little more costly, but is geared more towords continuious use, and accuracy. I have bought Gecko 340 drives, Sound logic breakout board,relay board, CNC Zeus software, a Torid power supply, prox sencers and electrocraft dc motors with encoders, which I may need to change? I've only gotten this far due to input from various web-sites I've visited. I am a fair programmer and a good machinist, and have the desire and passion for learning control electronics and mini machine building. I am open to any thoughts related to this conversion project good or bad.

Thanks in advance!

No1uno

I came to this forum off a recomendation from a friend, who is somehow convinced that it's a great enteracting group. I on the other hand am feeling a little left out due to the fact that I must not be posting my Questions correctly or something? I have had this thread start-up for some time now with not even as much as a hello from anyone. I still am working on putting together the retrofit for my Emco F1 mill and would like some advice on control software. I have bought CNC Zeus software, but am thinking that it may not suit my needs as much as the mach 2 would? Reason being that I may want to build a tool changer in the future and understand that the CNC Zeus software does not currently support that function in any capacity at this time. Has anyone used both of these, and favors one over the other?

Trying once again to get some help here!

No1uno

Hi No1uno,

My guess is that most people have no experience with the F1 mill, or Zeus software, and you don't have any specific questions.

Your machine should be easy to retrofit, as you will just need some motor mounts with timing belt drives. You have great stuff, geckos and motors. Since you have already bought the Zeus software, why not go ahead and use it until you actually have the tool changer, or come up with some other reason to change it?

Regards,
    Mark
    Regards,
    Mark

Thanks RotarySMP,
    I am planning to start with the CNC Zues software, but will keep my eye on anything else that comes along. I have mounted the motors and need to just wire them and the encoders to the controller enclosure. I am not an electricaly inclined person, but am giving this a go anyway.

Thanks again for the reply!

No1uno

I am not an electrical person either, but you just need to connect the dots. Good luck.
    Regards,
    Mark

Hello. My guess is on your original post was there didn't seem to be a direct question.

Your system should be a good performer. The Emco's have had a good reputation. You are on the correct path for a good conversion.

It appears to me you are requesting info on the various controlling software bases available along with their capabilities? You may look over the Machining Processes, Machine Controllers Software and Solutions section on this board. There are sub forums which deal specifically with the controlling software.

My limited use and knowledge kinda pointed me to the Mach programs. I believe there are trial versions to test out. You may do a search on their web page for more info.

Feel free to ask anything re: your conversion here. There really are a great bunch of folks eager to assist you. JRouche
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)