585,712 active members*
3,991 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Transformation -> Mirror

Hi guys,

I'm making a symmetric part. In the old days, we've used to mirror all operations and then run the same program (only mirrored) on the other side of the part.
    I was wondering if there is a way to split between the normal & mirrored operations to create different files, because right now the only way I see is generating G-code for the 1st side, then mirroring and saving the new g-code to another file.
    any shortcuts? Solidcam is much more advanced then what we have been using and we've hoped this part was improved..

Thanks! Shawn.

[QUOTE=lamed;463796]I'm making a symmetric part. In the old days, we've used to mirror all operations and then run the same program (only mirrored) on the other side of the part.
    I was wondering if there is a way to split between the normal & mirrored operations to create different files, because right now the only way I see is generating G-code for the 1st side, then mirroring and saving the new g-code to another file.
    QUOTE]

I do symetric parts all the time and there are several different approaches. I presume that you want keep the direction of cut when machining mirrored geometry.

First method: you select each "normal" job in the SolidCAM job tree while holding down the CTRL button. When all the normal jobs are selected, right click and hit "G code". Then repeat the process for all the jobs that require mirroring. Edit as required.

Second method (and the one I use most often). Do a "Save As" on the SolidCAM part under a different name. make a mirrored version of the SolidWorks seed part then change the model reference in the new SolidCAM part to the mirrored model. When it opens up be sure to (a) force a rebuild on the SolidWorks assembly and (b) synchronise all in SolidCAM. Any SolidCAM geometry chains that are "missing" i.e. the chain is present in the PropertyManager but when you try to edit it the chain cannot be seen, right click on the SolidCAM geometry in the job tree and generate the sketch. This can then be mirrored in SolidWorks and reselected in SolidCAM. I know this sounds complicated but my parts are very complicated with 20 ~ 30 Work Co-ordinate Systems and usually 150 ~ 300 jobs in the Job Tree.

Third method: If your post is set up to use it, there is a "mirror" switch in the SolidCAM milling dialog. However, this does not help you if you are machining prismatic parts.

Fourth Method (fingers crossed): The next release of SolidCAM will have an automatic symetrical part creator where after programming the part for the "normal" version, the user hits a button, is prompted to select a plane to mirror around and violá, a program is created of a completely symetrical part with the direction of cut maintained. Even in five axis! I know this is in development because I have seen various beta versions. You can imagine, I cannot contain my excitement at the prospect of this because it will effectively lighten my workload by 30~40%.

If you need any more help with mirroring (or "handing" as we call it here in the UK), feel free to ask.

Smile

Thank you! what a professional respond!