585,698 active members*
3,527 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Want To Buy...Need help! > Recommendations for SMALL CNC lathe and mill

Recommendations for SMALL CNC lathe and mill

I'm new to the forum and this is my first posting. I'm a retired Mech. Eng. and machining is my hobby.

I have gotten to the point where I want to make small quantity (10-15) of items and would like to get some recommendations for the small CNC machines on the market. The largest parts I want to make are 6" long and 2-3" wide but the majority of the them are lot smaller. I would like to get both a lathe and mill but have a single computer and software that will drive both. I can not afford a big CNC machine. Are there any "Good" and "Capable" SMALL CNC (Desktop?) machines that I should consider? Appreciate any help. Thanks.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by IBigBoy View Post
    I'm new to the forum and this is my first posting. I'm a retired Mech. Eng. and machining is my hobby.

I have gotten to the point where I want to make small quantity (10-15) of items and would like to get some recommendations for the small CNC machines on the market. The largest parts I want to make are 6" long and 2-3" wide but the majority of the them are lot smaller. I would like to get both a lathe and mill but have a single computer and software that will drive both. I can not afford a big CNC machine. Are there any "Good" and "Capable" SMALL CNC (Desktop?) machines that I should consider? Appreciate any help. Thanks. Bill
    Hi Bill. Welcome to the Zone!

There is no easy answer without more info from you. EG: What material are your parts made from? How do you define "Good" and "capable?" How quickly do you want it to machine the parts? What price range will your budget fit? What are you using manually to make these parts now?

You can get a VERY capable off-lease computer from Tiger Direct for cheap.

CR.

Bill I sent you a PM with some stuff you might be interested in.

I would unreservedly recommend the Taig Micromill with the MicroProto Systems CNC controllers. Well priced and very rigid (a key to accuracy and repeatability) with over-engineered bushes and fittings. Get the ER16 collets for compatibility.

Forget the LazyCam software that comes free with it, but the Mach3 controller software is very good. Dedicate a reasonably fast computer to controlling the mill and connect it by a network to the machine you do the CAM design work on, which should be the fastest and most powerful machine you can afford.

Get yourself a good CAD/CAM package for engineeering work (I use SolidWorks with the SolidCAM plugin - works well and produces good toolpaths) - don't waste much time with the wizard based cam tools (like LazyCAM) unless you are doing very casual stuff. They are easy to get some basic output from, but fine tuning that output can be almost impossible and I never managed to produce anything I was really happy with.

I have also recently been trying out ArtCAM for non-engineering designs. It is a different approach to modelling: instead of building your models with technical drawing constructs, it is more like being an artist. For example there are tools for 'smearing' and 'chiselling' and building up the surface with blobs of material ratehr than extruding up from a 2D line drawing. It comes with a great library of 3D relief models (eg zodiac signs) and can be optimised into a jewellery mode. I am not completely happy with the toolpaths yet but it is just a matter of learning the package to get the best from it.

You could even produce a 3d engineering model in SolidWorks, and then import it into ArtCAM where you can decorate it, with say a celtic weave pattern and some fancy engraved script wrapped around the surface of the model.

Whatever you do, be prepared for a reasonably steep learning curve.
    You can always tell an engineer...
    ... you just can't tell him much :-0

If small budget for cnc mill I would recommend buying an old bridgeport boss and doing an easy and cheap upgrade. I have one in my small garage that does a great job. I ripped out old boards and power supply and used a breakout board linked via parallel port to an old pentium pc controlled by mach3 software. Its great for the money! 70$ for breakoutboard 185$ software and nothing for the old pc from the closet. Wiring was pretty easy. Mach3 easy to learn with great video tutorials. Check out some of the info on mach here on another forum and may your chips always fly away from your body!