585,702 active members*
4,149 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking > WoodWorking Topics > How do you apply a picture/texture to the surface of a 3D CAD drawing for engraving?

How do you apply a picture/texture to the surface of a 3D CAD drawing for engraving?

I apologize in advance if this has been answered before or if I'm asking in the wrong forum, but a brief search turned up nothing.

Just for background purposes, I'm a rank newbie. I've just barely finished the mechanical side of building my cnc (now waiting for keling to get my motors in stock!) so please assume that I know very little.

My application is gun stocks and gun grips. I want to be able to design the basic grips and stocks on a CAD program, save that design, and then apply a logo, or checkering, or pictures (oak leaves, antlers, skulls, lightening bolts, other neat stuff) as an engraving. That way, I can really get into some deep customizing.

Now, I understand (er, sort of) how to design something in CAD and I think I understand how to export that to a toolpath program... and I think I understand how alot of these dedicated sign-making/engraving programs work... but is there a program that will allow me to apply an engraving to a curved surface like a gun stock or gun grips? I'm talking about a 3-dimensional engraving that is set a uniform depth from the surface of the object. Am I making any sense?

And for entertainment value... here's what I've BEEN making gun grips on for the past 6 months or so.

Yes, I realize now how ghetto-fied that pantograph is. Hey, it works. Its a PITA, but it works.
    These are the kinds of things I want to be able to use my cnc to engrave.

Any knowledge and advice ya'll could throw my way would be greatly appreciated.

ArtCAM will do it. Make your checkering into a relief then apply it to the
    selected vector as a texture. You can paste the logo relief on top of that. The logos might be pretty small so you will not have that great of detail without using a tiny tool.