584,798 active members*
4,408 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > Printing, Scanners, Vinyl cutting and Plotters > Simple Printing on Vinyl with basic inkjet printer

Simple Printing on Vinyl with basic inkjet printer

Hi, does anyone know how (or if you can) print on vinyl using a common household inkjet printer? Can you just get non water based paint? (and if so where) Thanks.

In order to lead you in the right direction, I have a few questions.

What are you going to use this printed vinyl for?
    How long do you need it to last?

Now to answer your questions:
    Yes, you can print on vinyl with an ordinary ink jet printer.
    The vinyl must be print receptive. There is a film coating on the vinyl which acts as a carrier for the ink.

You can also paint on vinyl.
    We airbrush vinyl all the time to get gradients, shadows, highlights etc.

Without some form of lamination/UV protection on the vinyl, your ink/paint will not last.
    Each will fade fairly quickly if outside.

As for the paints, we use automotive paints, mainly House of Kolor, but others can be used as well..........even water-based like createx or Auto-Air.

Does this help?

~Kevin

source?

Hello Kevin,
    Do you have a source for this "treated" vinyl? We have a project that would use this material just recently and any info would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Doug

Printable Vinyl

Hello Doug,

Most every vinyl manufacturer (Avery, Oracal, Hexis, etc) make a printable vinyl. Also, many of the colored, special effects vinyls are printable as well.

If you do not have a sign supply store anywhere near you, you can check out online places like McLogan's, Sign-mart, Hexis.

My advice would be to find a local sign shop that does printing.
    See if they will give you a piece of scrap, big enough for you to play with, as you will mess up a few trying to figure out the correct setting on your particular printer.

If you treat it like glossy photo paper, that should give you a good starting point. Also try aiming a small fan at the output of the printer, as the ink will come out quite wet.

Good luck!

~Kevin

Cool!

Thanks Kevin,
    I'll look into this and post results in a few days. Beyond printing directly, we are going to be "domming" these items as well. Have had good luck using the clear plastic from Office Depot but now need to produce something opaque. Thanks again,
    Doug

You better post some pics!

We also do doming, but might have to look into the secret Office Depot supply chain!

Now you have my curiosity up on what you are making

clear stuff

Hi Kevin,
    The printable material from Office Depot is not vinyl, more like an acrylic or such. They sell it for making transperancies for over-head projectors. So far, we've been cutting to shape, sticking the image down and domming one side. After its cured (more than 10 hours) we unstick them and dome the other side. These are inserts for a kind of grommet. Some of our applications are printed on both sides, so we'll need an opaque platform. I am happy to hear that you have been doming vinyl. We're just getting started so don't have a lot of information on what works and what doesn't.
    I'll have to rummage around for some pics - don't seem to see any on this computer, probably out in the shop.
    I have a bud who cuts vinyl signs. Will talk to him later today to see if he has any of the printable type. I'm excited to try this out!

Doug

Those don't sound fun to cut out!

If you friend has a printer/plotter, you can have him print and cut each one for you.
    Then you just "weed" then, dome, and go!
    You won't need the transparency

cutting...

Actually, we have some products that are transparent and some that are not. So we need to print on both styles and dome them separately.
    I should have thought about that guys vinyl cutter, tho. I'm not sure what the transparencies are made of. Could be acrylic or acetate, don't know. Would you think most vinyl cutters could handle those? I've made punches to stamp out the various shapes we use - very time consuming and expensive. I'll have to trade him some printable vinyl for some acetate and see how things go. Thanks Kevin,

Doug

You can cut the acetate, but it really kills the blade.
    You also need to apply either vinyl or tape to the underside of the acetate so that the blade does not cut into the cutting strip on the machine.

If you have made a punch die, that is perhaps the best bet, long term.
    Another, less expensive option is to use laminating vinyl.
    It is clear, already has the backing paper and is ready to cut.

I would imagine that you can get all the pieces cut (including labor) for less than the box of transparencies cost you.

When it is done cutting, and weeded (removing excess vinyl), just flip it over, spray with an adhesive spray, then dome.

BTW: glass makes a great surface to dome on. Easy to clean, flat, and smooth!

Okay, I have babbled enough!