585,752 active members*
3,944 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Digitizing a head port
Page 2 of 2 12
    Yes i think thats what im saying ^ lol, but i did contact Mcam, they said we need a software or something im not sure, but wut i think b5n7i2o5 was sayin is what i need, im not sure at all thats why we are needing guidance and save mone by not wasting it. MCam said that we can write a program but iono nothing bouts that, i think we need a software for the probe nest the data??? im not sure thanks guys

Master cam can generate a gcode to drive the probe and record the data, I am doing it now with a custom post written by master cam.
    The software and post will cost you over 20k, so be ready to pay.
    HAAS VF3-5 axis trunion
    Mastercam X3

H0gie by nesting data do you mean the collection of ponts with G31 at the control? If so the control should have provision for saving the data as a file if it is capable of G31 probing moves, it may also have a serial port it spits the data out onto another computer that reads it with a terminal program. I am just guessing here you will need to contact the control maker and find out. Also if you do just chevy heads you can write the probe movement program that will fit many similar heads for the chevy like most standard 23 degree stuff, whether they are afr, dart ,canfield, etc. The probing routine can be quite adaptable because it just moves till it is tripped. You work with a small inner profile and work outwards from there. So you wouldn't possibly have to do a new layout for every 23 degree head. Anyway thats what I am doing for my setup.

DRD, your site seems to be down.
    as for the Haas doing V8 I have a customer that all they do is heads acutlly a few customer and the first shop use mostly Haas for there porting and of course MC.
    There are some really good 5axis posts for porting out here as one are office does for the Mastercam dragster.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Re: Digitizing a head port

Do you have any details of the Mastercam reseller that did this for you please? I've just spoken to Mastercam UK about this thread and they have asked if I can give them more details of your supplier. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by DRD View Post
    I am using A 2008 haas vf3 with a 2 axis trunion table. We probe ports, chambers ect in 5 axis mode, using master cam to drive the probe . I had a custom post that was writting for my application by my mastercam dealer.
    We can probe a port in 20 minutes, pull the data into mastercam, tweak the data, and lay down a tool path pretty easy, and cut away. The finish on my ports are perfect, and I can push the machine as fast as the cutter can handle it.

I will say this, get a 5 axis trunion table on your machine, haas makes them. I have some friends, with rotarys stacked on a rotary and so on, and they don't work correctly.
    The only way to CNC port heads the right way, is on a 5 axis machine, and to probing on the machine is a big plus also. You probe on the machine you cut on. There are a few companies doing this now.

Talk to your mastercam dealer about them getting you a post that drives 5 axis, and will drive a probe, G31 protected moves.. The post will not be free, they will charge you for it.

They have post that will drive a probe.

Good luck.

"I am using A 2008 haas vf3 with a 2 axis trunion table. We probe ports, chambers ect in 5 axis mode, using master cam to drive the probe . I had a custom post that was writting for my application by my mastercam dealer.
    We can probe a port in 20 minutes, pull the data into mastercam, tweak the data, and lay down a tool path pretty easy, and cut away. The finish on my ports are perfect, and I can push the machine as fast as the cutter can handle it.

I will say this, get a 5 axis trunion table on your machine, haas makes them. I have some friends, with rotarys stacked on a rotary and so on, and they don't work correctly.
    The only way to CNC port heads the right way, is on a 5 axis machine, and to probing on the machine is a big plus also. You probe on the machine you cut on. There are a few companies doing this now.

Talk to your mastercam dealer about them getting you a post that drives 5 axis, and will drive a probe, G31 protected moves.. The post will not be free, they will charge you for it.

They have post that will drive a probe.

Good luck."

Do you realize this was posted over ten years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Tedger View Post
    Do you realize this was posted over ten years ago?
    Of course but I was hoping the guy was still around and could answer my question

Page 2 of 2 12