585,712 active members*
4,418 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Need a high torque Stepper motor ?

Need a high torque Stepper motor ?

I am looking for a stepper motor that works just like this one in the video.

However I am needing much more torque than this.

Can someone tell me where to find a motor that can do in upwards of 400-700 pounds of torque.

I ask for it to be able to run off of 12-48 volts, and the RPM to be able to do at least 25 RPM with no backlash with a full load.

Thanks for the help. I'd appritiate any link to where to find the motor as well. Also if you can think of a better place on this forum to post this question that may be better, please let me know.

Thanks, Scott 602-206-0925 is my cell, and..... [email protected] .... is my E-mail ( Take out the NO SPAM please)

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=qwqN8ArVYB0"]YouTube - Stepper Motor[/ame]

Hi Scott. Welcome to the Zone!

Are you sure you need so much torque? I know of no stepper that powerful. Most automobile ENGINES don't produce that much torque.

What are you trying to do?

CR.

So what is consider a very HIGH Torque Stepper motor in this RPM range ?

Do they make a Servo thats that high in Torque ?

I ask again: What is it you want to DO with the motor?

CR.

Check here

http://www.kelinginc.net/SMotorstock.html

http://www.kelinginc.net/NEMA23Motor.html

NEMA 23 BIPOLAR STEPPER MOTOR 425 oz-in

KL23H286-20-8B (1/4” shaft with a flat) Specification

This is a little mock up of what I am going to run. Pretend my hands are not there, and the speed is at least 3 times faster.

-45 degrees to 90 degrees is all the motor needs to control.

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=95oFaMHWDHE"]YouTube - gfdgfdgf[/ame]

That does NOT look like it needs 700 pounds of torque. Do you need the precision of a stepper motor for milling or something? Would a gear motor work as well?

CR.

Quote Originally Posted by Crevice Reamer View Post
    That does NOT look like it needs 700 pounds of torque. Do you need the precision of a stepper motor for milling or something? Would a gear motor work as well?

CR.
    That's just it. I really don't know how much Torque I would need. I figured I would just get the biggest I could find and go with it. Over kill is better than buying something then finding out that it will not run my project.
    The thing weighs 150 Total pounds. It will have an Axis in the middle similar to that little video I put together. I figured with the speed and control I want, it will have to have a ton of Torque to make it work right. I don't want any Back lash, and I want to be able too stop it at any point even if its from 5 degrees to 27 degrees in the reverse or forward motions.
    I was going to run a type of Axle through the thing and the other side would have support with a big bearing.
    Thanks

Ok! it's 150 LB and almost 2 feet long. How fast does it need to rotate? Is the weight evenly balanced?

CR.

I think a large Nema 34 and a timing belt, with say, 5/1 reduction pulleys should work. What size power supply will you be using? What stepper driver?

CR.

Ok! it's 150 LB and almost 2 feet long. How fast does it need to rotate? Is the weight evenly balanced?

CR.
    Correct.
    25 RPM would be the fastest I would need it to go.
    Yes the Weight will be balanced 50/50

I think a large Nema 34 and a timing belt, with say, 5/1 reduction pulleys should work. What size power supply will you be using? What stepper driver?

CR.
    I was actually just looking at those along with the Nema 42.
    It portable, so 12 to 48 DC voltage .

Sorry I really wish I could answer the 2 questions , but I am not familier with the whole pully system, and what a Stepper driver is ?

Youtube has a 3 videos on the Nema 34, but non on the 42. From the comments left below, these things must be pretty robust.

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=i5lSzdshwgU"]YouTube - Nema 34 12Nm Hi Torque Stepper Motor[/ame]

Portable? So no AC connection? what kind of battery power are we talking? A stepper motor involves a computer, a controller program like mach3, a breakout board, an electronic driver like a Gecko. Are you sure you need all that? Maybe a reversible gear motor is all you need. Can you control it manually?

Again: What does it do? What do you intend to do TO it after it rotates into position?

CR