Register for free
Login

Thread: doosan vtl

doosan vtl

hello,
    Lookind to buy a doosan v400 vtl, any opinions on performance and problems

thanks
    rags

if this V400 is a Mecatec machine, please keep in mind that Doosan Mecatec is now out of business. Doosan Infracore (Daewoo) has closed Mecatecs doors (corporate buyout I think). Parts may have to come from Korea, availability and the amount of time you might have to wait for parts may not be favorable. If this is a Doosan Infracore V400, our's list for approx. $120,000 here in the states and are really sweet machines.

thanks,
    yes it is an infacore machine, but the price is lower here than you quoted.

The standard chuck is 12" but we have asked for 15" as we have parts that are 400 mm dia.

Btw what is the max chuck size that the A2 -8 spindle on the v400 take. Which brand of chucks are normally offered as standard, they told me that it is a korean make , are they good? i would prefer kitagawa.

We planned to machine mostly aluminum rings and plates with plenty of face grooving and profiling on ID. Hope the machine is suitable for these parts.

thanks again
    rags

Our quote shows the K-N-15B1 Kitagawa 15" N type closed center chuck as the largest chuck, but I saw a 21" chuck on Kitagawa's website with an A2-8 spindle nose. Our quote does not include the price of the chuck, but Kitagawa is what we offer for the V400 here in the States (list price $4900.00) for the 15". I have used the Korean made Samchully chucks on our horizontal lathes and have not had any problems with them. I think the Doosan will work just fine for your application, as I have seen them do well in Hastelloy and Inconel for the Aerospace industry.

thanks again on the samchully chuck,

Our aluminium ring measures 400 mm dia, will the 15" chuck be adequate esp when we do face grooving when no chatter marks or vibration is permissible.

Most of the other parts are in 380 mm dia range .

thanks again
    rags

Hi Rags,

You may want to try pie jaws to totally incapsulate the part when machining. I think the 15" chuck should be fine, but the pie jaws seal the deal. Here's a link you can check out. You can bore the pie jaws to suit your needs for the diameter of the part you want to hold.

http://www.dacojaw.com/_pg1103.htm

thanks again,
    The pie jaws look intresting, btw the part we are machining needs to be raw on the OD, we can use the pie jaws for one side but we will necessarily have to hold the machined ID for the second side,

Since the matl is aluminium will the soft jaws make a mark or create ovality on the ID. I have attached the drg, Any other ideas ?

thanks
    rags
    Attached Files Attached Files

The pie jaws are aluminum as well, and I don't think you will have any scarring or deformation to your part, as you will turn the pie jaws OD to fit the ID of the part that you are machining. I don't have any other ideas for workholding at this time, unless you check out websites such as www.masterworkholding.com or www.vektek.com, or something similar for more ideas.