585,974 active members*
4,402 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

PCMCIA card on Fanuc 18M

I have a new to me machine with a 18M control.
    I'm looking for ways to communicate to the machine other than the RS232 serial port. On newer machines, I have used a PC with FTP software to "push" the program onto a pcmcia card and then run the programs in DNC from the cards. This worked well because it require no interaction with the control to load the programs. All the work was done on the PC side.

Can this work on the 18M? Can you use the PCMCIA card slot to communicate with the machine? Or is it for storage only? On this vintage or machine, how do you get the programs onto the card without removing it from the machine? (card swapping is a no go)
    Can I still communicate with the RS232 and save the programs on the PCMCIA card?

Thanks for any help.
    Tyler

I don't think you can run program on PCMCIA card with 18M. PCMCIA Fanuc 16/18/21 uses for system backup only (as I know that).

Quote Originally Posted by buildyourown View Post
    I have a new to me machine with a 18M control.
    I'm looking for ways to communicate to the machine other than the RS232 serial port. On newer machines, I have used a PC with FTP software to "push" the program onto a pcmcia card and then run the programs in DNC from the cards. This worked well because it require no interaction with the control to load the programs. All the work was done on the PC side.

Can this work on the 18M? Can you use the PCMCIA card slot to communicate with the machine? Or is it for storage only? On this vintage or machine, how do you get the programs onto the card without removing it from the machine? (card swapping is a no go)
    Can I still communicate with the RS232 and save the programs on the PCMCIA card?

Thanks for any help.
    Tyler

as long as your 18m control has a PCMCIA slot you should be able to run your programs directly from the card. change your I/O to 4 amd use M198 to call any program in the card we run lots of sub programs from the card in one program
    If you can ENVISION it I can make it

Quote Originally Posted by cnc-king View Post
    as long as your 18m control has a PCMCIA slot you should be able to run your programs directly from the card. change your I/O to 4 amd use M198 to call any program in the card we run lots of sub programs from the card in one program

How are you getting the programs onto the PCMCIA card?

i load mine thru the computer
    i will scan and up the instructions tommorow
    take a look at this thread

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=210824
    If you can ENVISION it I can make it

Dear

Please "scan and up the instructions" way

Many thanks.

zxcvbn

Pcmcia Card to usb adaptor

Hi everybody

i have a question

is there an adapter to usb flashdisk insteed of ordinary pcmcia memory card

i give a little explain

i ask about an adapter to connect it in the slot of the pcmcia port on the fanuc control and put my USB flashdisk in the adapter and make a backup of the configuration and parameters to save it on the PC

thank you all for your continuous help

best regards

try this site, or ebay.
    PCMCIA to USB | USB to PCMCIA Adapter and Converter

they will work with PCs but probably not directly on CNC machines unless the CNC manufacturer has provided a driver (extremely unlikely)

A better idea is to use a PCMCIA to CF adapter on the CNC machine to backup your parameters to a CF card. Then remove the CF card and read it on a PC using a common USB flash card reader.

Only the i-series of control can use the pcmcia card for more than the BOOT operations. Even then, the running off the card is an DNC option, and the 18i-A may need a software upgrade for that (I have experienced that).