584,854 active members*
4,438 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: shaper?

shaper?

Hi All,

Probably not the right place to ask this but the best i could see....

I want to build a shaper the kind where you load in a master part and a finger follows the master while cutting out the matching parts... Has anyone seen one of these and has a build like this been done before I did a seach on here but turned up nothing.... I have seen these machines before in action but now that i need to build one i can't find squat....

Thanks for any help or advise i can get!

Travis,

what are you planning to build? If it's simple cuts, a pin router can do the job but not automatic (computer controlled)

well i am looking at making full 3d parts with it i am not sure if a fourth axis in my vmc or the shaper is going to be more profitable. I do quit large volumes of the parts they do not have really tight tolerance around +/-.005 they are out of g10 plastic and some other materials along the same lines. what i am thinking is making a master out of alum. mounting it to a full rotating fixture with a finger/foot that follows the templet and with cutting wheels machines the exact replica in other multiple stations....

Not sure if you can quit invision what i am talking about but these machines i belive where quit popular before cnc...?

A realtime link would require appropriate software.

It can be done through steps; i.e. probe to markout co-ordinates in dxf form with entry into Cam. The benefit with the latter is the storing of the co-ordinates so one use of the probe on the master allows the re-creation of n copies.

Andy
    Drat, imperfection has finally stopped working!!

Quote Originally Posted by pp-TG View Post
    ..I want to build a shaper the kind where you load in a master part and a finger follows the master while cutting out the matching parts... Has anyone seen one of these.....
    Travis,
    It is possible you have not found anything because you are using the wrong search term. You should Google 'hydraulic tracer lathe mill'; I have seen pictures of what you describe, a probe that follows a master and controls the movement of a cutting head than machines out the matching part. These where machines where the probe and cutter were connected.

The modern approach to doing the same thing is to have a probe that digitizes the shape of the master, it creates a 'point cloud', which is then converted into a 3D model in a CAD system and then turned into G-code by a CAM system to machine the shape.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Probably tons cheaper and easier to make a probe attachment to a CNC, then make copies afterwards. Or scan the object with a 3d scanner (laser scanners w/software can be done for under $100) then make copies.

If you wanted a real time "copier", it sounds tons more complicated than just a standard CNC machine; requiring 2x Z axis (one a slave), potentially 2x turntable 4th axis (one a slave), overall machine size increased dramatically, specialized software, etc.

Smile duplicating

what type of material are you wanting to cut. if it is not metal you may be able to use a duplicating router. they also make a similar tracing mill for metal. i hope this info may help.
    greg

Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.copycarver.com/

jgro

For duplicating wood parts this is another option. The Gemini carver.

http://www.wood-carver.com/

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

I believe what you are looking for is called a Blanchard lathe. They were used extensively in the good ol days for building gun parts. I know a guy locally that built one for duplicating guitar necks. ([email protected])

The advantage of this type of machine is the speed that the duplicate parts can be made.

~P