585,717 active members*
4,003 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Indexable cutter for aluminum

Indexable cutter for aluminum

Hello all,
    I am looking into getting a 1" indexable cutter for roughing aluminum and was wondering what brand and model of cutter are people using with success. this will be used on Haas VF-0 machines. Any suggestions?

thx

Im running a VF3.
    ive had great results with a SUMOTOMO 1" cutter in several types of material.
    Its capable of some unreal speeds and feeds when it comes to alum. materials. Be sure to flood it with rich coolant or coolant thru if ya got it.
    Theres alot of good cutters out there if ya talk to any reps.
    If ya go with Sumotomo, let me know how ya like it.

ive always loved the hertels
    http://www.kennametal.com/en/e-catal...ategory%3A5073

its just a spray of chip when these babies move , at least when ive used them , very aggresive and fast tool , and leaves a beautiful finish to boot
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

thx

thanks guys.
    i will look into those. i spoke with an Iscar rep and he suggested the HM90 EAL-15. But the inserts were on the expensive side (33$ ea.)

You might also want to look at Shear-Hogs from AB tool.

http://www.abtoolsinc.com/

--ch

I use Mitsubishi BXD4000 in my VF2. HIGHLY recommended.

You can use Sandvik RA390-11 series the inserts aren't too expensive. and I get good results.

The RA 590 is designed specifically for non ferrous, but I'm not sure if there is a 1" version.
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

I would agree with you big mak the RA390-11 really does well in aluminum,
    We run the H13A inserts in aluminum, they last for ever.
    Sandvik also offers a 790 that is excellent in 6061-T6.

The 790 is nice, If you have the deep pocket use for it, other wise I find those tips in particular to be mondo denero!!!!!!
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

Use Sandvik R790 only for high speed machining, with conventional speeds it do not have any advantace to the R390.
    R790 will cost two times more and inserts too...

im running an iscar heli ALU 1" with awesome results in 6061 billet. single insert HM 90. 1300 SFM (conservative) in VF2. great results.

Durga M,

I find that generally only having 1 insert in a cutter will drastically reduce your feed rate, that's why I'd prefer to use a R390-11 with 3 inserts, then I can feed 3 times faster even I don't know exactly the iscar equivalent, but the one that uses 11 or 15 mm adkt inserts in their IC28 grade would be more productive and increase your MMR

suggestion

I always try to avoid cutters that use proprietary inserts.

You mentioned that the iscar cutters were $33, try another brand insert.

I'd be surprised if you can find much leading edge technology in milling today that isn't proprietary. Some Iscars are $33. These are the Big Uns 22+ mm ones same with the Sandvik 790's. The R390-11's and ADKT 15's and smaller are much more reasonablein the $10-15. And if you hold out for a buy so many inserts get a cutter for free the deal gets better. iscar tends to run these promotions.

Generally If I'm doing lots of pocketing I use solid carbide. It's my weapon of choice.

AB Tools and MIL-TEC

AB End Mills fly but the inserts are pricy, about 17 bucks for 2 edges. I have switched to Mil-Tec products and have had great results. You can have up to 8 edges and the inserts are about 10 bucks. Just my 2 cents worth