585,885 active members*
6,203 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

View Poll Results: Which Micrometer

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll

Help With Mics

Got a few mics im looking at buying, price for 0-1 is really no option since I can go about $200-$250 for one, but if I can get same quality for quite a bit lower I will(comparing Mitutoyo to Starrett in counter mics ...) If I get the MDC Digimatic IP65, should I get .00005 or .0001 and im really trying to get ratchet stop instead of friction but I will give friction a chance. Also, what is ball attachment used for??

I know many of you dont like the vernier mics because they are easy to make mistakes with and dont have the 1-button inch/metric function Im really leaning towards the MDC Digimatic because its digital, has IP65 protection and has the inch/metic along with absolute origin(I think). So please vote on poll for what you think is best
    Free games! http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/join.asp?idr=597539293634 Use code "dealz-2008" for 100 points to get your first game!!

Mics are only as good as the standards used and the feel of the machinist. Get in the habbit of alwas using the rachet or friction knob to do your measurements. Thi includes with the standards when you calibrate. I'd lean more towards Brown and
    Sharp, or Starrett over Mitotoya. Mits used to be good and I have several of the old woth high Mit quality, but present day quality I hear is lacking. My grinding mics are Brown and Sharp with carbide faces, tenths reading, and friction thimbles.

I've used the ball attachement to mic the wall of a cylnder. I've also used it to make sure of accurate hole placement in a part. Basically it allows ypu a sinlgle point contact on a inside curved surface.

I like mics that have carbide faces, read in tenths, and friction thimbles, that's why my precision set has these features. My bang about the lathe general use, beat up everyday in the pocket mics are a hodge podge of Starrett, Craftsman, SPI, Mitotoya, and B&S. Mainly older Starretts None have carbide faces, a few read in tenths. Think about that when you make the jump. A good set for precision work that are locked in the box, and a set for everyday use. If you keep the knock about mics calibrated, they will work within a half thou.

Well give me some suggestions for other calipers, links please and im still in school so I wont be purchasing 2 sets but the way things are going I think it might be better to get digital so you can switch from inch to metric and im just getting a 0-1" so I dont need any standards. Basically just buying whats required for when I goto college so I dont have to buy it the day before class starts.
    Free games! http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/join.asp?idr=597539293634 Use code "dealz-2008" for 100 points to get your first game!!

To quote a fellow 'zoner, "buy the best you can't afford". A micrometer measuring device is a system. The tool (micrometer) the applicator (you) and the reference (standard) are the system as variable as your "feel". When the variable feel has been developed, very accurate measuring can be accomplished.

Now we have repeatability. The system will be improved with experience and compared with actual measurable results.

In reference to your original ???? Spend your money on good reputable tools like Starrett etc. or trust to luck rather than dependability.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

I use two ball attachments to measure centre thickness on lenses (bi- concave lenses). If you're gonna use a ball attachment go digital- you can zero the mic with the attachment instead of having to subtract the diameter of the ball from measurements. Do this often enough, specialy late at night and you will make a mistake eventualy.

Oh try and get one that switches itself off otherwise you'll eat batteries.

Oh, and get extra batteries- there's nothing worse than being in the middle of a production run and your mic battery going flat
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

I like the Mitutoyo digitals myself, but you will need to keep them clean and put away when not in use. Mitutoyo's quality has slipped a little from prvious years, but they are still good mics. Don't waste your money on the IP protected ones.

Mitutoyos are good mikes, and so are Etalon. Etalon used to be the "gold standard" where I used to work. Right now I'm using Fowler/Bowers digital indicating mikes. Indicating mikes reduce or eliminate the feel factor. The have to be periodically (a few times a day) be checked with a gage because of thermal expansion if you're holding tenths. Pricey, though. Haven't had much experience with Etalon indicating mikes, (around $1000) Maybe you can find a good one used?

http://www.fvfowler.com/snapmic.html
    http://brownandsharpe.com/precision-...n-micrometer-2

I'm partial to the mitutoyo IP mic's they are nice, and I'm always using them in a machine, so the IP feature is good for my application.

If you are in anyway going to be around a coolant soaked machine the IP is money well spent.

If you are an inspector in a clean room, then don't bother!(nuts)
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

The mitutoyo 101 series are nice. 0001, and friction. Except my 2-3 is rachet since they don't make a friction for that one.

I bought a set of fowler 0-6 for under $400. Sure they arent the greatest mics in the world, but they are very smooth for the price. the 0-2 come with friction and the rest came rachet style, havent had any problems with them they have tenths readings.

Digital calipers are great for all sorts of other less accurate measurements, being able to zero at any position is very useful, ie measuring centre of two holes of same diameter, but they cannot be relied on for any better accuracy than .05mm .002" due to yaw of the jaw, wear in the slide, wear on the tips etc

Mitutoya measuring instrument is best.

we have spi, b&s, Mitutoyo mostly,but in everyones pref, the Mitutoyo IP65 is the smoothest and everyones favorite, we get them on sale for around 200 from msc.