585,932 active members*
3,684 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Not plunge into stock material

Not plunge into stock material

I would like to forcM mastercam X2 to Z plunge down in air then move in the XY plane into the stock material or part.

As of right now I plunge in the Z direction and am forcing my machine to work too hard.

I tried the "use the approximate start point" option but no success.

Try checking the "plunge outside containment boundry" option. Your cutter will plunge outside the stock about 1" away from it. No way to change this ridiculously too far distance that I know of but at least it wont be plunging into the material. Which is one of MC's most annoying promlems. Plunging into the stock when you least expect it. It will take you 30 minutes of watching the verification at a slow speed to catch the bogus plunge too. So productive and intelligent are these tool paths. (nuts)

cncuser are you using the surface rough pocket as Mike is thinking you are using? Have you tried using the Rough core in the HST surface paths this will keep from plunging if you are doing surface roughing..
    Let me know what path you are for sure using.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

create a start point and select it and in the chain dialog box move the point before the chain
    If you can ENVISION it I can make it

containment boundry

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stevenson View Post
    Try checking the "plunge outside containment boundry" option. (nuts)
    Well I used containment boundry. I use "outside" option. I use a value I enter into the value window.

I'm not sure this is the most efficient method. I'm not sure because I'm so tired of messing around I'm in Zombie mode.

Containment Boundary set to Outside means it will cut outside the boundary.

Selecting the Plunge Outside Containment Boundary" depends on the toolpath your using. I would use Surface - Rough - Pocket and on the Rough Parameter Page, you'll find the option we're referring to.

You wont find this option on Rough - Contour or Rough Parallel.

That should do what you want.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com