585,748 active members*
3,407 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Control for Signmate 2000

Hey all...hoping I put this question in the right area. My boss recently purchased a used ESAB Signmate 2000 with the Auto-Path 750. My job is to figure out how to feed DXF files to this machine. There is a DNC port on the back of the machine and I can handle all the communication settings. I am trying to figure out if the machine is capable of converting DXF or DWG files or if I need to have other programming software to create the machine code.

We do have programming software for a couple other machines but we would need to purchase a new post-processor for the Signmate.

Thanks for any advice.

Mark

ESAB Signmate w/AutoPath750

The ESAB AutoPath750 will NOT take DXF or DWG files. It will only take standard G-Code. (EIA) You will have to find a program that will take the autocad file and convert (post process) it to a machine tool path. ScanVec's program EnRoute is a good example. Once you have the EIA or G-Code program you will need a copy of ESAB's DNC.EXE program to do the actually communication between the Host (PC) and the AutoPath. This is a DOS application and can be obtained from ESAB.
    You will need a standard Null Modem Cable. The cable only useds Tx, Rx & GND.
    Make it yourself.
    Autopath End PC END
    Pin 2 TX------------------------Pin 3 RX
    Pin 3 Rx------------------------Pin 2 TX
    Pin 7 GND----------------------Pin & GND

Thanks for the reply. We had a post processor made for our MetaCAM programming software so I have solved the code generation part. I was trying to use a couple different Windows based CNC file transfer programs with no luck. I have talked to ESAB about my problems and was never told about the DNC.exe program. I will contact them and see what my options are.

Can this DOS program run in a DOS window on a Windows XP computer?

New information:
    I just got a reply from ESAB. Their "Installation Product Manager" says he knows nothing about the DNC.exe program. Any other ideas where I might get it?

Mark,

Contact me directly at [email protected]. I will see to it that you get a copy of the file. ESAB is trying to get everyone off of the old controller and upgrade to their new system... Suprisingly they know nothing about this file. Wonder what they do for product support on the old stuff. I worked for them for 9 yrs on this equipment. Once I left it seems they threw all informtion out the window.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.