585,578 active members*
4,094 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Connectors

Connectors

I have read more threads about connectors than I care to think about... yet I'm still not sure what to do.

I have a box that I will be installing my power supply, driver, bob, and spindle relay. I want to make it clean, simple and as inexpensive as I can. Not cheap, just not extravagant. I have built an 18" x 36" router and am using a Mechatronics 3 axis board, Keling 276oz steppers, 24v 6a power supply and a CNC4PC ac frequency convertor. All this will be installed in a box about 17" x 9" x 6".

I have seen posts about din plugs, cannon plugs, mic plugs, molex, etc., etc. Is there any problem connecting my steppers using a db9 connector as long as I use the proper guage wire? My thought is that it would solve a couple of issues - cost, they are pretty inexpensive, and reliability, they can be screwed together so there is no chance of them accidentally coming unplugged.

I would use one db9 for each stepper and one for the home switches and e-stop. It would be pretty easy to plug a connection on the female socket to ensure I don't plug the wrong cable into the wrong connector, but if they are labeled clearly I don't see that as a problem.

Any thoughts on this idea? Is it good, bad, neither?

Also, what about the wire to connect the steppers? The wires on the steppers is 22 guage, is it necessary to use larger wire to connect to the drive? I know about voltage drop, etc., but does it make a difference to use 16 or 18 guage when there is 22 guage on the stepper?

Thanks for any insight you can give me.

Gary

Hi, I think if you wire 2 pins together for each wire on a DB9 connector should be ok. I'm sure read somewhere on here that each pin can take 3 amps max though don't quote me.

Do a test first, if the connector gets slightly warm then dont bother.
    Perhaps use a DB25 and wire more pins together.

As for wire it depends on the length of the wire between motor and supply.

The thicker the wire the less voltage drop but, as we are dealing with motors current is the thing we need most of so do the sums on your max current requirement and check cable specs before you buy.

Hope this helps

Cheers

I'm using molex for the motors and a DB9 for the limit/home (optos) and E-Stop. The molex are 4 contact, 6 contact, 9 contact for X, Y, and Z respectivly so it's not possible to mix them up.

Steve

Thanks for the replies. I like the molex connectors except that they don't have a panel or chassis mount version. I have done some more research into the db9's and they won't carry the current that is needed. I found some 4 pin din style connectors that are rated at 5 amps, they should work fine.

Thanks again!
    Gary

A wide range of wiring products, including higher-current capacity connectors. I've ordered stuff from them a few times, no other interest:

Waytek
    No time to do it right, plenty of time to do it twice.

I took a quick look at Mouser catalog to refresh my memory and sure enough they still have panel mount Amp/Molex style connectors.

GeneK

Quote Originally Posted by LaserImage View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I like the molex connectors except that they don't have a panel or chassis mount version. I have done some more research into the db9's and they won't carry the current that is needed. I found some 4 pin din style connectors that are rated at 5 amps, they should work fine.

Thanks again!
    Gary

Well don't I feel like an idiot... I bought some molex connectors at the local Radio Shack and couldn't figure out what those stupid looking "ears" were on the sides... lo and behold, they are for panel mounting... In my defense, I was looking for something with holes to be bolted on to the panel and when I didn't see that I assumed that they were not panel mountable.

Thanks for the info and making me look at their catalog!

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by GeneK View Post
    I took a quick look at Mouser catalog to refresh my memory and sure enough they still have panel mount Amp/Molex style connectors.

GeneK