584,817 active members*
4,676 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: LCD Monitor

Page 1 of 4 123

LCD Monitor

Hi Guys,
    Has anyone out there tried to replace the CRT monitor with a LCD monitor?
    Can it be done? If not how come? Maybe Neal can shed some light (pun
    not intended) on the subject.
    Thanks,
    Gary

Depends on the original CRT monitor signal format, and horizontal/vert sweep rate, If standard analogue VGA and up it should be no problem, The lower sweep rate monitors or older EGA TTL types will pose a problem.
    Also, if built in CRT monitor on OEM dedicated systems the signal pin out as well as the standard has to be known or 'scoped to document it.
    Al.
    I just noticed its Fadal Forum, but the above will still apply.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

IIRC their was a person on ebay offering a LCD for the older Fadal's. I think he wanted $2200 for the monitor and conversion kit.

LCD

i found this info on this site and now i'll share it back to this site.
    check out earthlcd.com
    the price for an lcd for my machines was 1700$ from the manufacturer
    and 250$ from earthlcd. they sell bare bones monitors. i have since bought
    and installed 8 of them.
    good luck.

Fantastic! What model did you end up using and was their anything special about the pinout?

monitor

for me there was nothing special. other than the brackets to hold it on.
    it was just a plug in. and a 120v plug. the monitors that i got have 2 or 3 options for plugs. i've had to buy 10.4in 12.1in 14in and all were the same.
    the web site shows all. i saved thousands of $$$$ probably over 10,000$.
    they have lots of options, they have touch screen too.
    you could even buy everything seperate, monitor, boards, plugs, and build it yourself, i had to do that for 2 old cnc cylidrical grinders. call and ask about your specific machine they might know about it. the are in california.

Fadal Monitors

Funny you should bring this up.The monitor on my fadal died AGAIN the other day.Its the old green monochrome deal,RCA/BNC plug,composite video.In the past,Ive used an old Apple or Wyse terminal as a replacement.Anyway,I bought a VGA adapter box from Startech,its intended to allow you to use a svga monitor with older video games.I pluged it into the fadal video card and an ancient IBM vga monitor and got white text-not pretty but useable.
    There are LCD monitors with BNC inputs(used for security cameras) available.I dont know how a standard off the shelf LCD would work with this set up,but its worth a try.There are other converter boxes out there with more adjustment.
    I suspect Fadal changed the video card output to vga,as most later model Fadals have color,an option might be to change the video card,it also might be really expensive.
    Most of the composite LCD's I found were 15"-to big for the pendent.Maybe a screen for a laptop?

Looks like I am in the same boat.
    Turned the monitor on, and we all KNOW that smell!!! Found a small campfire on one of the boards in the Monitor cabinet, not a good thing!
    So, on to the LCD upgrade. How are they holding up for you?
    What other items were needed to complete the install, or was it a turn key install?
    Thanks for sharing the link,
    Smitty

Bit the bullet and got the LCD upgrade. 350.00 with power supply and 2nd day shipping. Will post the install and any issues I may have, with my luck lately, should be a plenty!
    Smitty

Sorry for the late reply, either a lot of Fadals don't break, or there really aren't that many of them, as this Section of the forum is slow.
    Here are some pics of my LCD install. I could have done a better job on the outer bezel, but it works.
    Called LCD Earth, told them what I had, and they sent me what I needed. Install is as easy as it gets. You will need a BCA to RCA adaptor from Radio shack. I also got the power supply from LCD earth, did not want to deal with tapping into the machine for power.
    Monitor works, saved about 150.00 bucks!
    Hopes this helps,
    Smitty
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0424.JPG   100_0425.JPG   100_0427.JPG   100_0428.JPG  

Thanks for posting this :cheers:

The monitor on my Fadal VMC15 has been on the dim side for the last few years. It also has started to burn in a little. I've been wondering how much longer till it craps out.

anyone have more details about connecting LCD
    monitor to replace the old one

This type...

...of information followup is great!! Thanks for the note!! I copy this type info and put it in the back of my maint. manual.:cheers:
    Steve.

Sorry for not posting my info for the LCD upgrade...
    Here are the part numbers from my packing slip...
    SK-3012R Monitor
    PS-ADP-24HB Power supply.
    You will also need a RCA to BCA adaptor from radio shack, that is to connect the Fadal cable to the NEW monitor...
    Hope that helps,
    SMitty

Hey Smitty,

The correct termonology for the adapter needed to use the EarchLCD monitor is a "BNC-female to RCA-male".

Per your photos, plug the Fadal monitor cable and adapter into the yellow RCA jack of the monitor.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by smittys800 View Post
    Sorry for not posting my info for the LCD upgrade...
    Here are the part numbers from my packing slip...
    SK-3012R Monitor
    PS-ADP-24HB Power supply.
    You will also need a RCA to BCA adaptor from radio shack, that is to connect the Fadal cable to the NEW monitor...
    Hope that helps,
    SMitty
    Quote Originally Posted by quickturngreg View Post
    Hey Smitty,

The correct termonology for the adapter needed to use the EarchLCD monitor is a "BNC-female to RCA-male".
    Per your photos, plug the Fadal monitor cable and adapter into the yellow RCA jack of the monitor.

Greg
    Great Info, Thanks Guys!!!!:wee::cheers:
    Just a good ol' boy, never meanin' no harm.
    Joe

Some follow up on the EarthLCD monitor install:

Make sure your 12v dc power supply is AT LEAST 1.5 AMPS output! The power supply I bought was only .5 amps, and the monitor would not work! It would power up, but would not show any text.

I actually returned the first monitor for a replacement, and only figured out the power supply problem when the 2nd monitor did not work. I ended up running a power cable back to the main machine power supply for the 12v dc. You have to unbolt the wire cover across the top of the machine, and at the top of the main cabinet, to run the power wire.

I mounted the LCD by drilling 4 new holes in the control fascia. These holes end up being very close to the existing 4 holes. I tapped the 4 holes in the monitor to accept the mounting bolts.

After carefully trimming the curved sections of the monitor bezel, I used black silicone to secure it to the face of the control. I could not use the original mounting screws, as the new monitor mounting screws are in the way. I had to "pop" the 4 white plastic mounting blocks from inside of the monitor bezel to clear the monitor screws.

I am pleased with the new LCD monitor. The text is white, and slightly larger than the older green text monochrome monitor.

My only nitpicks are the text seems to wiggle just slighty, and the top line of text is too close to the top of the screen, and thus slightly distorted. I think the wiggling is from the video signal from the board, as the original monitor had some text wiggle as well. For the top line being slightly distorted, I tried every adjustment combination, but could not shift the screen down any. Any ideas here for the slight wiggling, or top line distortion?

Greg

Pics?

I ordered my LCD tonight..

Quote Originally Posted by quickturngreg View Post
    Some follow up on the EarthLCD monitor install:

Make sure your 12v dc power supply is AT LEAST 1.5 AMPS output! The power supply I bought was only .5 amps, and the monitor would not work! It would power up, but would not show any text.

I actually returned the first monitor for a replacement, and only figured out the power supply problem when the 2nd monitor did not work. I ended up running a power cable back to the main machine power supply for the 12v dc. You have to unbolt the wire cover across the top of the machine, and at the top of the main cabinet, to run the power wire.

I mounted the LCD by drilling 4 new holes in the control fascia. These holes end up being very close to the existing 4 holes. I tapped the 4 holes in the monitor to accept the mounting bolts.

After carefully trimming the curved sections of the monitor bezel, I used black silicone to secure it to the face of the control. I could not use the original mounting screws, as the new monitor mounting screws are in the way. I had to "pop" the 4 white plastic mounting blocks from inside of the monitor bezel to clear the monitor screws.

I am pleased with the new LCD monitor. The text is white, and slightly larger than the older green text monochrome monitor.

My only nitpicks are the text seems to wiggle just slighty, and the top line of text is too close to the top of the screen, and thus slightly distorted. I think the wiggling is from the video signal from the board, as the original monitor had some text wiggle as well. For the top line being slightly distorted, I tried every adjustment combination, but could not shift the screen down any. Any ideas here for the slight wiggling, or top line distortion?

Greg

Hi!

I need to get this thread up again....

>SK-3012R Monitor
    --> earthlcd: "Unfortunately, we do not carry the SK-3012R anymore due to
    the card not being manufactured..."

Has anyone upgraded recently a Fadal with CRT on a LCD?
    What type of lcd can I use?

Thomas

You can use ANY LCD on the market as long as you have the right adaptor wire. You want a BNA (female) to RCA (male) adaptor for 88 and 88HS or Legacy. If you are using a MP control you can use a VGA input LCD or monitor IIRC.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cables-To-...apter/15172622

OR

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-02455-Female-Adapter/dp/B0002J1I32/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318252978&sr=8-1-spell"]Amazon.com: Cables To Go 02455 BNC Female to RCA Male Adapter (Silver): Electronics[/ame]
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

Page 1 of 4 123