584,854 active members*
4,193 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > anyone familiar with model Master 1250 cnc?

anyone familiar with model Master 1250 cnc?

Hi

I keep looking for a desktop CNC and I found a used ModelMaster 1250 for sell. The machine is not running so if I'll buy it it's for the axes and I'll have to either to put my own controller and run it with it's original steppers or convert it to servo drive. Also I'll have to make mountings for a low rpm spindel (the sherline with R16 collet is what I had in mind). Price they ask for it is 6000$ as is. Considering the fact that a brand new one cost around 24000$ it might be a fair price. I like the fact that it has linear guides on all axes. However I can't find out what type of lead screw they use and also it's impossile to find the total weight of this machine. I have to be able to lift it myself and move it around so anything above 60Kg is out of the question. If any one can answare these two questions it will be a great help.
    I was also trying to get a new barebone Minitech Mini mill 3pro but they don't seems to respond to emails or the their online quote reqest forms ( for two weeks by now). So I kind of gave up on them even though Minitech seems to have a nice machine.

I didn't think the small Model Masters like that cost quite that much unless something changed very recently. Are you sure that $24k isn't a package with Artcam included? I'm pretty sure that mill was a fair bit less than that when I bought mine, but that was a few years ago and they have added models to the lineup since then. $6k for a non-runner still seems steep.
    The total weight is likely around or under 60kg, they are a pain to move alone but fully possible.
    If it isn't working, you may not have to remove everything and start over. Mine, and all I have seen, simply used rebranded Flashcut systems and control software, don't know if they all still do but I'd say its still very likely. If so, repair or replacement of missing control components is very possible.

I think you might be better off buying a different base machine if you are using a Sherline low speed spindle and the kind of cutting that entails though. That machine was designed to use a very light high speed NSK spindle, and to move it quickly. They are beautifully made machines, but they weren't designed for heavy, slow milling loads and so uses very small fast single-stack motors. It isn't just going to be as easy as simply hanging that heavy of a head onto the Z without other modifications as well. I do not remember what the pitch on the ballscrews is offhand, or if it is the same between all axes.
    If you are going to go whole hog modding it though, that machine modified for use with a good set of servos and a properly set up ER16 spindle would be a dream to use. They are very nice machines and very well built, just not exactly built for the kinds of job you want them to do!

Thanks for the info. So it has ballscrews, that's what I wanted to know and it'a also in the right weight range and that's good as well. The machine comes with the fourth axes. The listed price of a new one now includs the fourth axes as well, but no design programs. The place who sells it says that for 3500$ Model Master will replace the old controller with a new four axes controller and new software to run it, but I preffer servos especially if you say that those stepers are anyway to weak for a low speed spindel. The machine also comes with an NSK spindel ( that works ). I will have use for ultra fine precission milling so it's not going to be wasted. I will also use this machine for plastic material 99% of the time.
    All that's left now is to get an answare from the place who sells it if they are willing to ship the machine only two monthes from now since only then I'll be in the state. If they will, I'll buy it and post how I converted it.
    Thanks again.

You'd definitely be better off replacing the motors and controllers yourself, Modelmaster just rebadges and charges a premium.

It looks like a nice machine, I've only seen the 1000, not the 1250 and those would work for what you have in mind too. Does it come with the tool changer? That'd be cool to have.

As far as Minitech, make sure you have the right contact info, http://www.minitech.com/

There's another site, I don't know what's the deal with them, they're resellers of some sort but they're not the manufacturer. http://www.minitechcnc.com/ It's easy to get the wrong one.
    www.harryhamilldesigns.com
    CAD sculpting and services

Smile

I bought the machine I think its a more robust machine then the Minitech and the axes have a more conventionall mill configuration. The minitech seems to have the X linear bearings on top, moving along with the table. That requires unconventional covering of the rails and it also means that when working at the far ends of the table the bearings are not left below the spindel. I guess it doesn't matter for very light milling forces but might have some effect with low rpm spindels. I didn't like that, and changing the configuration was one of the things I've tried to ask if possible. Any way, now I've bought the Model Master and I'm realy happy about it. I'll get to see it only a month or two from now when I'll arrive at the state. Now I have time to shop around for servo conversion. I want brushless dc and four axes cordinate motion capabilty.
    The machine doesn't come with a tool changer.It's an optionall upgrade for this model and can be added at any time ( probably for a lot of money ).

I do have micron from MODELMASTER for a year but it is suck ,it is not worth for 12K.

Re: anyone familiar with model Master 1250 cnc?

I have a model master w/4 axis good condition for sale call me richard 615-630-1840

I keep looking for a desktop CNC and I found a used ModelMaster 1250 for sell. The machine is not running so if I'll buy it it's for the axes and I'll have to either to put my own controller and run it with it's original steppers or convert it to servo drive. Also I'll have to make mountings for a low rpm spindel (the sherline with R16 collet is what I had in mind). Price they ask for it is 6000$ as is. Considering the fact that a brand new one cost around 24000$ it might be a fair price. I like the fact that it has linear guides on all axes. However I can't find out what type of lead screw they use and also it's impossile to find the total weight of this machine. I have to be able to lift it myself and move it around so anything above 60Kg is out of the question. If any one can answare these two questions it will be a great help.
    I was also trying to get a new barebone Minitech Mini mill 3pro but they don't seems to respond to emails or the their online quote reqest forms ( for two weeks by now). So I kind of gave up on them even though Minitech seems to have a nice machine.[/QUOTE]

Re: anyone familiar with model Master 1250 cnc?

I have just bought a Model Master cnc 1250 but without any software, but all else seems to be OK! Its intended to be used for milling very small details in relation to fine scale model building. I have a larger machine for the more "heavy" work. My question is: Can anybody help by ideas on how to proceed by getting it up running? Is it possible to get software for the original controller? I've also been thinking about if converting to Mach3 is possible? Anybody in here who have informations on the machine like specs, manuals etc . Seems to be very limited information awailable on this machine!