584,830 active members*
5,698 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > How To Make A Left Handed Part From A Right Handed Model???

How To Make A Left Handed Part From A Right Handed Model???

O.K.....I am trying to be lazy here. I have an intricate part that I make for the drag racing industry. I made my model for right handed people and have written tons of code (Mastercam) that requires 7 fixturing points to complete. I am getting requests for a left handed model. Is there any easy way to make a mirror image part? It seems to me that keeping the Y's the same and reversing the X's would do it. Is there a setting that allows this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure how often it works out well to do mirror image by sign reversal. If it matters to you whether the tool is climb milling or not, then it most likely means that you would want to redo the toolpath directions in CAM. But for hole pattern type positioning, it would probably make sense to use mirror image on the machine.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

If there are no circular interpolation moves and no tool compensation mirroring one axis can work except as Hu points out you finish up doing conventional milling.

With circulars or tool comp things don't work. At least in my experience.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Excellent points. I hadn't thought of the fact that I would be pushing the cutter rather than dragging it (there goes my surface finishes). I guess there is no easy way of going about this. Thanks.

Is it not possible to click the "Make Mirror Image" tab in Mastercam?

Do any CAD/CAM systems have this ability, to pervert a model?

If there is, I can't find it. That would be a powerful tool, wouldn't it? Something that would automatically regenerate all toolpaths to give you mirror image parts. For $15,000, I would expect Mastercam to have something like that.

I agree with the others, using mirror or sign reversal at the machine will give mixed results - I wouldn't, on what's evidently a complex part.

But Mastercam CAN do this - just not with 1 or 2 mouse clicks. Exact method will vary depending on your version (8, 9, X, X2?), but it's basically, select all entities, Xform, Mirror, X axis. Regen all your toolpaths.

Then use backplot / verify to see what you have. Hole paths usually come out OK, as do *MOST* pockets. Contours generally retain original offset side, but since the MIRROR command changes the direction of the chain, you may need to reverse each one to have the tool on the correct side of the contour, and retain climb cut direction. Surfaces like flowlines can also change cut or step direction. It takes a little time to go through, but it beats the heck out of starting over!

As to the question of, should it be easier for $15K? I'll leave that one alone... but it WILL do what you want.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by flashno View Post
    I agree with the others, using mirror or sign reversal at the machine will give mixed results - I wouldn't, on what's evidently a complex part......

......But Mastercam CAN do this - just not with 1 or 2 mouse clicks.
    As to the question of, should it be easier for $15K? I'll leave that one alone... but it WILL do what you want.

Ed
    I guess it is the $50,000 CAD/CAM packages that do the single click mirroring.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    I guess it is the $50,000 CAD/CAM packages that do the single click mirroring.
    Spoken like a die-hard G-code programmer! Whom I have great respect for, BTW, as an old G-coder myself. But I niether bash nor praise Mastercam, it just happens to be what I know & use now. It is what it is. Just trying to help the original poster, who has M'CAM, just needs some direction.

Ed

If this is on a Haas, you can just do mirror image on machine and if the operator is familiar with machine I would feel ok about it as long as he was.
    But he will have to mirror part zero also, it is a little tricky, but it does work well.

Myself, I would mirror it on machine, and it would have to be very complex for me not to. As far as mastercam ..... cant help on the mirror thing.

G52.1 (X or Y) will mirror a part about the axis you want to mirror on fadals. On my super old Tree there's a command to mirror but forget. I have NEVER run across a controller that will not let me mirror g-code without the CAM software. You'll just have to poke around your controller handbook.

mirror programing mastercam

I dont know what version of mastercam your useing but when i want o make an opposite of somthing ive allready programed i save my orginal to a new file name ( so you dont screw up the org.) and then mirror that geometry about the y-axis. That gives you your opposite part, then i go to the operations menu. you'll notice that all are red X'd out. I then go to each operation that need cutter comp and pick the chains by right clicking , a menu drops down and one of the options is to reverse chains click that. do this for each conture or pocket op. Then go back to the main operations menu and select all and do a regen. If you did it correctly all your cuts should be climb cuts Then repost I hope this makes even a little since.
    and that it helps -Chris

Mastercam will millor anything in about three mouse clicks.
    Transform, mirror...

I use Smartcam, and it is quite easy to mirror. I just group everything, then mirror about the zero, then reverse direction of cutter path. Done.

The simplest thing to do is to run mirror image on the machine and get left handed cutters. This way you will not loose and edits made on the machine by reposting and you will be able to use the production Programs.
    You could charge the customer for the purchase of the cutters.

Torsten,

Problem with that is mr. operator for gets to change cutters when the turn everything off and Smash. If I tried to charge my customers for an extra set of cutters, they'd be running elsewhere to get their work done!
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

In the Haas control go to settings pgm, type in 45 then down arrow. Right cursor will have that line blinking. Write/enter will turn it on and will have Xmirror shown on the monitor. That will mirror X. All you have to do is put the x zero on the opposite side. If I have to have a left and a right hand part. I will put hard stops on the table or use a dowel pin. Then use g54 for left hand of the material, g56 for the right hand of the material. That way I know where everything is. X mirror will work for cutting alum, but for anything else the surface finish will need help.
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    The simplest thing to do is to run mirror image on the machine and get left handed cutters. This way you will not loose and edits made on the machine by reposting and you will be able to use the production Programs.
    You could charge the customer for the purchase of the cutters.
    I've never heard of mirroring a part reversing the spindle direction so you wouldn't need left hand cutters.

Someone have a Permanent Licence Key for SmartCAM Freeform Machining V10 or V11.5?
    I have only a Tenmporary Licence Key. tks

Quote Originally Posted by flashno View Post
    I agree with the others, using mirror or sign reversal at the machine will give mixed results - I wouldn't, on what's evidently a complex part.

But Mastercam CAN do this - just not with 1 or 2 mouse clicks. Exact method will vary depending on your version (8, 9, X, X2?), but it's basically, select all entities, Xform, Mirror, X axis. Regen all your toolpaths.

Then use backplot / verify to see what you have. Hole paths usually come out OK, as do *MOST* pockets. Contours generally retain original offset side, but since the MIRROR command changes the direction of the chain, you may need to reverse each one to have the tool on the correct side of the contour, and retain climb cut direction. Surfaces like flowlines can also change cut or step direction. It takes a little time to go through, but it beats the heck out of starting over!

Ed
    Hi 61Sedanman
    with Mastercam x, x2, x3, x4 this works great and is easier than it sounds follow his instructions and U will be happy ..MC will regen the tool paths..almost everything I program is left and right hand
    Tony