585,728 active members*
4,051 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Cad for beginners......

Cad for beginners......

I'm looking to learn Cad/Cam. Would BobCad be a good place to start for a beginner??

Also, has anyone ordered from http://www.bobcad-software.com/index.htm ?
    I can get the full Version 18 with training videos for $520, considerably less than thru bobcad.com

thanks.
    dave.

Dave,

Where to start?

First, I chose BobCad to learn about CAD/CAM. I purchased V18 (with a free upgrade to V19), with the training videos for just a little more than you're price. I am now "dangerously smart". I am a retired enginer and wanted to use BobCad's scripting language to create complex surfaces, like propellers, boat hulls, airplane wings and fuselages. I have been reasonably succesful at this. Basic, low level scripting works great. I sometimes have to create "work arounds" when things get exotic. I enjoy a challenge, so I this is no big deal...just takes a lot of thought.

Second, in the past, BobCad's focus has been on CAM not CAD. Their products were for machine shops to create tool paths from existing designs....and there are a lot of shops using BobCad successfully. I think BobCad will always retain the CAM focus, but are steadily improving their CAD capability.

Third, it seems to always come down to what you get per dollar. You can always pay less and get less or pay more and get more. The key is finding the lowest cost package that has what you need. For a lot of us, BobCad fits the bill. Beware of people with different needs from yours. For some reason, owners of CAD/CAM packages become zealots. They try to make you think all CAD/CAM packages are inferior to the one they have. None are perfect.

My advice for you is to download several demo packages and just use them. You will get a lot of phone calls from salesmen. Use this opportunity to get started and get answers to questions. Warning, it's a cut-throat world and they can get pretty aggressive so stall the purchase until you are ready...not them. You may find that the salesman will start offering discounts on the second and third calls. CNCZone is a great place to learn about different CAD/CAM packages.

BTW, the latest download package from BobCad is V19.6.

Best Regards

Chuck
    Poor planning on your part does NOT constitute an emergency on my part!

I started with Bobcad. My needs were very basic back then and it was okay. For the price, you'll at least have a chance to learn the basics and learn what you want next. I know the first purchase in most any new field is difficult, because its hard to know what you want until you are thoroughly involved in it.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)