585,956 active members*
4,202 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bridgeport VMC 760 22

Just took ownership of a bridgeport VMC 760 22. Its been in the weather for about 5 yrs, and fared rather well in my opinion. The monitor has been removed and the keyboard is missing. I haven't pulled it off the trailer yet so i haven't even tried to power it up; so this question may be a little premature but i thought i would get a jump on the financial end of getting it operational. I've been told it was not a very good machine in its day and figure now may be the time to remedy that.

My question: Which controller should i consider to install in this machine? I want it to have at the minimum 4 axis capability, it does have a tool turret which i want to be operational. Also what problems did this machine have in its day, and what controller could be installed to overcome those issues?

My goal is for the controller to be versatile and user friendly.
    thank you

i saw this outfit at westec: cncmaker.com they had a package with a 4axis controller and 3 servos with drivers for about $8K. I have never used their stuff outside of what i played with briefly at their booth. if you want to see the sheet i have from westec for the package, PM me with your email and i will scan it and email it to you.
    -Jeff

user friendly controllers

Southwest industries make some nice user friendly controllers, not very costly, but I don't know about 4 axis. You should check thier website.

OR

www.cncauto.com

you also might look at centriod's (i may have spelled that name wrong) stuff. they have some spiffy videos on their site.
    -Jeff

Question 760 No Good?

I have a 760/22 and use it most everyday. I love the machine. If yours has the DX-32 cotroller, you can use any VGA monitor and PC keyboard to see if it will fire up.

Quote Originally Posted by KTD1 View Post
    I have a 760/22 and use it most everyday. I love the machine. If yours has the DX-32 cotroller, you can use any VGA monitor and PC keyboard to see if it will fire up.
    out of pure curiosity:
    how do you do your file transfer from computer to control?
    -Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by apache405 View Post
    out of pure curiosity:

Zip Drive on LPT1
    Remember seeing Predator will emulate EZ-Link somewhere. Want to give that a try sometime.

Take a look at Ajax CNC.

I have researched CNC controls quite a bit and found Ajax has a pretty good system and if the motors on your machine are good they cam just supply you with the Control. I have the Centroid and really like it except for some problems I have with it since I sent it to one of there repair guys to rebuild and he did a real **** job on it and has never been as good as it was new and the factory does not warranty the rebuild that there service guys do. I will be ordering the Ajax control for a CNC I plan to retrofit soon. The programming is easy and has more bells and whistles then my Hardinge VMC 1000 Fanac control had and Ihad the expanded memory on that. I have never been able to fill the memory on my Centroid yet. Centroid and Ajax use to be one company at one time then they split but they share the software that they use. Hope this was of help and if you need to ask me any questions email me at [email protected]. The web site for Ajax is as follows:http://ajaxcnc.com/mill_kits.htm
    Regards,
    Glen

Quote Originally Posted by apache405 View Post
    out of pure curiosity:
    I use Bob cad with an RS 232 cable on my Bridgeport 760 with DX32 control. The transfer is easy. exit basic menu (0), send/recieve (4), recieve x on x off (2), load (f3), name your file, send from computer, then hit esc then f2. Send using parity: none data bits: 8 stop bits: 1

WOW

Awesome information, Sorry for the delay in response. I'm going to try to answer all questions in one response. I currently don't transfer my info seeing as i don't use it. I would be interested in westec sheet with the packaging prices but don't know how to pm and i will defiantly be looking into ajaxcnc.

hI
    I need install new hard driver in bridgeport vmc 760/22,i work in recovery data in hard drive ,my client have hdd in bridge port bad , i have data for hdd ,i ned system for boot in har driver!
    pls what instructions for it ?
    what software for it?
    tanks
    www.institutodohd.com.br

contact Hardinge @ 800-424-2400. They have great customer support. They will reprogram your hard drive for you with the original operating system.
    Doug

I bought one this spring had it about 3 days and the mother board died
    EMI here in PA. has everything you need to get going I bought the mother board upgrade to be able to transfer files via a network and it works fine
    We use the machine for everthing from simple 2d parts to 3d surfacing, mostly aluminum and haven't really found anything it won't do
    EMI also employs some former BP tech engineers also George who posts as machinetek on here is very knowlegable about these machines (I believe he is also a former BP tech eng)
    DX32 control on mine
    Also have a Millport with a Centroid control and they are good also