I've been in this industry for 20 years, and this experience has convinced me that the future of CAD/CAM lies in Integrated solutions. By Integrated CAM, I mean CAD/CAM software that runs inside of mainstream CAD systems like SolidWorks or Inventor.

I compiled a list of advantages on my company site:
http://www.ngms.us/integratedcam/integratedcam.htm

I'm sure there are others advantages I've missed.

Some of these advantages are compelling on their own; like eliminating data translation errors.

But I am also finding that some work to help and reinforce the others. That is, Integrated CAM opens the possibility of new ways to approach machine tool programming. There are synergies at work that seem quite powerful.

A simple example: SolidWorks supports Assemblies and configurations, and with an Integrated CAM system, you always have access to the design tree (which you can loose with stand-alone systems during the conversion process).

Now I find myself making different configurations of the part for different phases of CNC machining. My first configuration might have many of the features suppressed and show all the clamps as part of an assembly. Later, I might only show cavity features, but with holes or features to be drilled or burned suppressed in the design tree (rather than capping surfaces like we did in the old days).

Obviously, I am a believer in Integrated Systems, and have a commercial interest in them. And one sure way to start a flame-fest is to talk about the advantages of this brand CAM over another.

So, I'd like to discuss this on a more academic level, and try not to talk about specific products.

The question is, how do you see the advantages or disadvantages of Integrated CAM, and how have you used CAD functions in mainstream CAD (Solidworks, Inventor, PTC) to prepare a part for toolpaths?