584,826 active members*
5,018 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > threading gear interference, metalspinning questions

threading gear interference, metalspinning questions

Im having a problem on a speedway minilathe- when trying to cut a threadpitch using a 3 gear combo -- which includes a moderate to a large gear on the A or B axle- the gear on one or the other axle wont clear the other components when I get the quadrant positioned to get the gear teeth to mate. looks like I will need to make some changes to the quadrant bracket to get the gears to pass and also to space them properly so they will pass each other. it also looks like there is some depth clearance issue with the gear on the B axle regardless of - the depth clearances and positioning isnt controlled well and I will need some additional depth control bushings to get things lined up to mate teeth and to clear in depth. I have cleaned out some space on the quadrant as well as made up some bushings but it looks like there is almost a complete different quadrant needed for some of the combinations.

is this strictly a speedway issue or do the others have this dragon also??

has anybody else slain these dragons and what's the best ticket. it it strictly make your own and butcher up a new quadrant for each gear combo needed or is there a base set of parts that I can make and use for all the gear combinations. Im thinking I may need a 2-piece quadrant and I dont want to go there unless its necessary., I will need to make some screws around 36 to 48 pitch so I need the small thread spacing. the higher count metrics suffer from the same problems.

thanks all for the responses in advance.

also- has anybody done any metal spinning on these critters- what are the limitations on speed and power that you have found. I discovered have the motor cutout problem after running at slow speed and loaded for a few minutes also that seems to go away when I make the motor brushes really tight but Im trying to find another solution. metal spinning usually uses high speeds but I cant get the speeds back after the motor goes into this mode, hafta let it cool overnite or re-tighten the brushes and Im approaching the point where the holders may crack if I retighten much more.

There is a size limit on the gear combinations on all
    the 7x** machines. It is something like A+B<=100;
    and also for C+D. I have seen the numbers on the
    YaH00 7x12 list but can't recall them. The answer
    is a custom-built banjo. There are pictures on the
    7x12 list.

Metal spinning is pretty much a pipe dream on the
    mini-lathes because they just don't have enough
    horsepower. Installing a larger motor is one possibility
    but risks stripping the drive gears.

robotic regards,

Tom