585,753 active members*
3,685 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fagor 8040 control

Hi All

I have a fagor 8040 control with digital axis drives and a analog spindle drive.
    The problem is that I do not have 3 phase power.My question to all out there is can you remove the power supply and generate your own 400 volts dc to power the drives. Has any one out there tried this before,or must i get rid of this control and drives and use mach software to drive my milling machine.I want to fit this to a old Victor v4 milling machine.

Tanks

Cj

I would never dream of swapping a Fagor 8040 for Mach 3.
    That is a big step backwards.
    Use a phase converter and transformers or run a 3 phase generator.
    BTW the Fagor control only needs single phase. It's the servo drives and spindle motor that will be setup on 3 phase.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Quote Originally Posted by cjels View Post
    Hi All

I have a fagor 8040 control with digital axis drives and a analog spindle drive.
    The problem is that I do not have 3 phase power.My question to all out there is can you remove the power supply and generate your own 400 volts dc to power the drives. Has any one out there tried this before,or must i get rid of this control and drives and use mach software to drive my milling machine.I want to fit this to a old Victor v4 milling machine.

Tanks

Cj
    Yes, as stated the Fagor 8040 CNC is actually a compact CNC that only requires 24vdc both to drive the CNC and the PLC I/O. Thus, an in-expensive 24vdc power supply from your local radio shack can turn on and run your CNC.

But, we also have a variety of Digital Drives & Motors that either operate on 360-540 VAC 3phase as you have or 220 VAC 3 phase..... there is not a lot I can tell you other than if you have absolutely no method of obtaining the high voltage, you may wish to contact who you purchased the products from and possibly arrange a trade for low voltage drives.... depending on the situation, sometimes arrangements can be made.

As a note, Fagor CNC's/Servo drives offer the flexibility to work either in a traditional +/-10 vdc or CAN or Sercos Digital communication protocol with the Servo System..... thus, the CNC can work with other servo systems. (You may or may not have to change/remove your sercos card to work with an analog dependant on how the CNC was equipped originally and what version, but this is easily accomplished and low cost..... talk to your local Fagor office to determine if anything is necessary)

As far as the CNC running a milling machine.... the Fagor 8040 MC CNC was specifically engineered to dynamically master milling machines from both a simplicity point of view and advanced feature point of view, thus having the ability to equally provide full capability regardless of if the machine is a simple bridgeport kneemill or sophisticated VMC.

I hope this was helpful and good luck !
    Todd

As Todd is saying, you are not limited to the drives you use with the Fagor control.
    My lathe has Yaskawa drives and motors.
    The "bolt on" knee mill kits sold here are bundled with non-Fagor servos as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DareBee View Post
    As Todd is saying, you are not limited to the drives you use with the Fagor control.
    My lathe has Yaskawa drives and motors.
    The "bolt on" knee mill kits sold here are bundled with non-Fagor servos as well.
    Yes, Darebee is correct....

And the bolt-on Turnkey packages typically utilize Glentek Servo's..... good well known low cost drive/motor system manufactured in California.

Glentek is found on my Fadal as well