585,877 active members*
3,369 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > I.C. Engines > What is this called a "internal side crank engine" ?

What is this called a "internal side crank engine" ?

I was trying to come up with an idea how to improve bearings in a fractional HP low RPM engine by using ball bearings what do you think ? I think the side crank design is the only possibile way to easily replace it's bearing when the bearing is a ball bearing. The two arrows indicate where the two halves of the case bolt together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails open crank engine3.JPG   open crank engine3.bmp  

See page 20 of http://manuals.hobbico.com/osm/fl-70-manual.pdf for another way to achieve the same thing.

If this as yet untested design caught on I guess it would be the first time an IC side-crank engine went from being made for reasons of ease of manufacture as in the case of model airplane engines to reliability and serviceability. If you like the idea of a side crank then the only main difference between the two designs (my drawing and the OS FL-70) is my incorporation of a internal flywheel ,the reason I did that is for reasons more of what I don't know than what I do know although I know it reduces stress on the main bearings, reduces vibration and is probably more compact. Also this engine is intended for stationary use applications or where weight isn't a factor and to run at 2,000 - 4,000 RPM.