585,717 active members*
3,831 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > coverting from Right-hand to left-hand coordinate system

coverting from Right-hand to left-hand coordinate system

Hi all,

I'm new to the world of CNC programming and had a question regarding left hand rules and right hand rules. Most CAD systems that I know of operate in the Right-hand rule coordiate system. The company that I work for has a Quintax CNC that operates in a Left-hand coordiate system. I will need to duplicate complicated trim lines in Pro/E and then pull datum point info from Pro/E and use this to help create the G-code programs. I run into difficulty doing this since pro/E and the Fagor controller G-code coordinate system are not compatible and It requires me to do some hand subtraction to get the datum point info correct. Is there any quick or easy conversion I could do other then using determinents to pull coordinate info from Pro/E directly into a g-code program i'm writing without having to do any hand calculations. I would ideally like to create a coordinate system in pro/e that looks exactly like that of the CNC coordinate system so that it's easier to visualize what i'm doing, the only problem is that as far as I know Pro/E does not allow left hand coordinate systems. Any help on this topic would be appreciated.

Thanks, Elton

Just to see if I'm understanding you correctly, you have a model of a right hand part. But need to make a left hand (mirrored)? Sorry, I'm just not quite understanding what you already have and what you need to get from it.

Sounds to me like one of the machine's motors (and encoders) should be reversed. Is that possible?
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Could the Z axis be upside down? Is Z positive direction the right way?

Bill

you know I figured it out our cnc doesn't actually operate in a Left hand coordinate system it operates in a right hand system. The arrows on the machine give you the impression that it's a left hand system but in reality it's a right hand coordinate system.

Sorry for wasting your time.

I think what throws some people at first when faced with a standard mill, is that because the spindle is stationary in the X & Y the table has to move in the opposite direction in order to give the defined spindle movement.
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

yeah that's exactly what did it for me...if you sit back for a second and really look at it then it kind of makes sense.