585,908 active members*
3,899 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

A Few panels for a speaker project.

I'm looking to have some pieces cut for some speakers I'm building. It will be a front baffle rear baffle top and bottom and then the braces and divider. I need 3 of the brace pieces and 1 of the dividers. Here is a zip file with all the parts in it. They are all done in Solidworks if you guys need them in some other format I can try and convert them. I'm using Solidworks 2008 SP 3. Also there is an assembly of what the parts should look like all together. Oh and material is all MDF.
    Attached Files Attached Files

PM sent

Replied

Ok someone said that they couldn't get the files to work and it may be because of zip compressing them or something. I have a new file here that they are contained in a zip but they are not compressed at all. Also included is IGS files if the solidworks files don't work.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Is there a reason I haven't got any interest from people? If I can get someone to do the cuts I would be paying for it very soon as I'm trying to get started on these ASAP. Is there an issue with the files?

My friend was saying (he's the one that did all the design work) that you could put the top piece on a block that was cut at a 60 degree angle and then cut it and it should turn out right? I don't know if this is possible but sounds logical. The other pieces should be easy. I can't believe I haven't gotten one offer yet....hmm

Thanks for the posting. Maybe no replies because it is a weekend or something.

In case anyone is wondering all MDF is 3/4" thick the front top and bottoms are doubled up so they are 1.5" thick. The total cabinet height in the front is 49.5" tall the rear is about 10" shorter. The angle of the top is 60 degrees.

Ok here is the final version of the cabinets. We were having issues with the angled top hitting the back of the first speaker so decided to ditch it. Basically the job would be every part except the left and right sides....unless it wouldn't be to much trouble or to expensive to do the sides and then I'd be all for it. Basically to make them curve like that they need to have slits cut ever 1/2" or so maybe every 1" would work about halfway through the MDF. This should make it nice and flexible and curve to the side. There are some dado's in the sides as well so that they will fit tightly together to the braces and what not. If you can take on the sides as well then it could be a possibility but I don't really want to spend more then like 200 for the entire project before shipping as most of it is pretty simple cuts you just put the wood in the machine and press start. I got a really good quote before when the angle was there I'm waiting for an updated price from him so we'll see but in the mean time I figured I'd see what others could do.

I couldn't get the file to upload to CNCzone's server so I used a file service here is the link.

http://www.uploading.com/files/NHHC0...model.zip.html

Doug

Hello Doug,

Well, I can tell you one thing for certain. This is going to be an expensive speaker system. The cutting of these parts is not going to be cheap either. Most of them have to be cut from two sides, or the shop that does them will either have to have the custom tooling, or have it made. How do you propose to cut the curved sections?

I wish I had the time as I would quote on them, but I don't. BTW just to help you what I can....some of those parts could be cut completely on table saw and if you did those yourself, it would help reduce the cost to you some.

I hope things works out well for you on this as it looks like a really neat project.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Umm if you look in the files there is a depiction of the curved parts. They are actually flat MDF and all of these pieces can be cut from one side. The driver holes are not to be cut. None of this is really all that hard and yes some of it could be done on a table saw. There are a couple problems with this. I do not have much time to make the cuts and I don't have a shop to use. Secondly I want it all to fit together nearly perfect so I don't have to do a lot of filling and what not. Basically the curved sides are a flat sheet of MDF with grooves cut every 1" or so that go about half way through the MDF this makes it bend and is quite flexible. I've already got a quote for the entire thing including the sides for 196 before shipping for both cabinets so someone must not of thought it was that hard. Honestly if I had the tools I would do a lot of it my self. If I still lived in AZ and had access to the CNC stuff that I used to I would be able to do it all my self for sure. The only pieces I could really accurately cut on a table saw would be the front and rear baffle and then the rear wall for the mid section. the other parts are all curved and there for produce a problem when trying to get them as accurate as possible with the tools that I could use. Mostly I just want to be able to assemble everything because I only have 1 or 2 days a week at most that I could possibly get an hour or so to go to my friends to work on all this. And then I have the issue of it not aligning perfectly which would waste more of the little time that I do get to work on them. I want them to fit close together because they will be veneered at the end and it would be nice if there weren't to many imperfections that I would have to cover up.

Smile

Doug,

Your parts dont look very difficult, why dont you post them in dxf or pdf format to scale.

Jeff...

Hi, you might get a better response if you attached the documents as a PDF and not zipping them.

We are lazy and just want to be able to click on the file and see it, not download stuff to our machines. Everyone has acrobat reader.

If you want the most accurate quote and the most interest, post both PDF and DXF. PDF so people can see the file and DXF so people with CNC machines can run a toolpath and check out the cutting time.

Ah well I already got someone to do the job a couple weeks ago. I guess I never posted that in here? Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie085 View Post
    Ah well I already got someone to do the job a couple weeks ago. I guess I never posted that in here? Sorry.
    Wanna post back w/ some pics of the cut pieces and completed speakers?

Yes I can do that no problem lol