585,875 active members*
4,084 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Help to identify another piece o junk again.

Help to identify another piece o junk again.

I dont know what this is so I need your help fellas.
    Looks like encoder of some kind.
    Label reads:

Stegmann Inc. Dayton, OH
    Model 150MA
    P/N 376838
    Serial 00300107

PIN Function
    1-- +10 VCD
    2-- +10 COM
    3-- UNSUSED
    4-- A+
    5-- A-
    6-- UNUSED
    7-- I+
    8-- I-
    9-- SHLD
    Without a doubt looks like an awsome and absolutely 'cant live without' device.
    As always manufacturer place has all the info right on the front page with a big label "Konstantin please read this, this is what you are looking for" just kiddin. Have not been able to get info on Stegman US/DE.

I have 3 of those and if it can be used for my project I will use it but dont know what is it.

Pics attached.

Konstantin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Set113_01.jpg   Set113_02.jpg  

Looks like a encoder with differential outputs for driving long cables. You should be able to use just the + or - outputs eg use A+ and I+. Connect it up to 10 volts and see what you get on the outputs.

Look like a resolver to me, you normally have an exitation winding 1&2 and a sine and a cosine winding.
    By design, they are usually fairly low resolution.
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

tachus, Id love to hook it up but I cant really tell what the output is, what will tell me the output. Is it TTL logic pulses? Any circuit that will be able to count the output ?
    This is my first time with an encoder.

To tell the truth I opened one of them just to see whats inside and of course the are some electronics, a couple of opto transistors maybe and a glass disc.

Konstantin

That is a fairly strange object. It is an optical encoder with only one track and a index output. You need two tracks to use it as a rotary encoder -- unless you only go in one direction. With one track, you can't tell if the rotation has reversed or not.
    A resolver has 6 inputs: +/- sine, +/- cosine and +/- excitation. It does not need a power supply input.

Here is the Link to Stegmann http://www.stegmann.com/product/incremental/index.html
    If you hook up the 1&2 to 12vdc, if it is a line driver differential encoder you will get a 12v signal from each of the output which should be a square wave, but if it is open collector you will need a pull up resistor (~1k) to +12 on each output. The web site I believe is faxback or email for the info on encoders.
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Tach ?
    Angular encoder?

I did emil Stegmann, waiting.
    Konstantin.

OK, we're guessing, so let me too:
    It's an SSI interface (Synchronous Serial Interface). A clock input and a data output.
    You supply the clock at around 200KHz, and get back the position as serial data.
    You can get SSI cards for a PC, like this: http://www.addi-data.com/wEnglisch/p...pci-1710.shtml

Konstantin i was just guessing as well. Can show us a picture of the inside?
    Hook up some power to the plus and common. Check the voltage on all the outputs. If you don't get anything try 1k pull up resistors per Al's suggestion moving the shaft very slowly should see the output alternate low then high. If you get no voltage with the pull ups it's possible it is designed for use in a current loop. Try grounding the negative outputs with the pull ups on the positive outputs.

Quote Originally Posted by ESjaavik
    OK, we're guessing, so let me too:
    It's an SSI interface (Synchronous Serial Interface). A clock input and a data output.
    You supply the clock at around 200KHz, and get back the position as serial data.
    You can get SSI cards for a PC, like this: http://www.addi-data.com/wEnglisch/p...pci-1710.shtml
    That's an interesting guess, but look at the pinout again. Would a SSI have two differential outputs? And a large plurality, if not a majority, of quad encoders have their channels named A, B, and I, so it would make sense for a single track encoder to have A and I. Additionally, most manufacturers do offer encoders with only one track, I've seen quite a few on ebay. Finally, it has 2 n/c lines for that second channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Konstantin
    Tach ?
    Angular encoder?
    Pardon for the pun, never intended. I meant "tachometer?".

Here are few more pics. Finaly a friend lend me his Cybershot.
    Look inside the misterious object. I unsoldered the opto thingie to move the pcb away. I believe there is a sort of 7805 IC just screwed to aluminum base, shown in the last pic.

Konstantin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Guts1.jpg   Guts2.jpg   Guts4.jpg   Guts5.jpg  

Looks like there is a & b + index sensors with some of the parts (caps) missing for the b channel. It also looks like the output is capacitively coupled. If you follow the outputs do they go straight to the caps and nowhere else? You will need to bridge out the caps if this is the case. It also looks like you should be able to get the b channel working.
    What is the part number on the second chip? (not the 339).

As the marking on the PCB for the missing "Capacitor" is D4, I would assume it to be of the diode type?

I didn't look that close . It does seem to be labeled as a diode. Maybe its a zener "capacitor" for output protection?