585,766 active members*
4,082 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

MAZATROL 640 ALARM 378

I come at job in the morning and turn on machine and I see alarm who I never saw bifore alarm 378 BATTERY MALFUNCTION (TURRET) I can't find in manuals this alarm and I don't know what is wrong! Please help me! Thanks.

The backup battery in the control has rundown or gone wrong. Have you not run the machine for a while? You may have lost your parameter settings, and possibly other data too.

Time to ring up Mazak!

This alarm is in the Matrix parameter book and states as follows:
    Cause: The battery voltage drop is critical for the absolute position of the turret.
    Action: Replace the battery. Do not turn off the power before replacing the battery or the zero point settings maybe lost.

The turrets are servo driven and they do have a home (reference) position and you will lose that if you power down.

FWIW the 640T Fusion is PC based (it runs Windows 2K) as is the Matrix (that runs XP) and therefore has a hard drive, thus losing all your parameters is unlikely. Though they surely can be corrupted!

Also, a bit of advise learned the hard way: NEVER ever turn off the power when you get a battery alarm. Big troubles and expensive phone bills IF you know your way around the dark innards of a CNC control. Bigger bills if you need to call in a service tech just because of a dead battery.

Mazatrol Alarm 378

The alarm is for the turret driver. You will find the driver in the main electrical cabinet . The unit you are looking for will be flashing an alarm possible Z70. The battery will be a 3.6 volt battery. Do not disconnect the battery until you have a replacement , then change with power on.

Surf the net with the windows 95 in the control to the Mazak web site.
    You have just spent 220k u.s.d on a machine, why ask us for help?

Quote Originally Posted by elmerfud View Post
    Surf the net with the windows 95 in the control to the Mazak web site.
    You have just spent 220k u.s.d on a machine, why ask us for help?
    or even, why bother to post a response if it's not helpful?

378 alarm

Hey guys,

I found this thread in Feb. '09 and thought I'd add my two-cents worth for the benefit of anyone who is looking to recover from the 378 alarm.

The 378 alarm indicates the voltage of the memory battery for the absolute position coder has dropped below 2.6 volts. If you're lucky enough to have the alarm occur when the machine is under power, it will be a good day. Simply leave the power ON and order a new 3.2 volt battery (Part. C52012 from Mitsubishi) and install it with the POWER ON.

If you've left the machine off for a long time and the battery has expired while the power is off, it's alot less fun. You've lost the reference (#1) position of the turret and must re-estabish it.

There's a recovery procedure in the Maintenance Manual (in this case, for the Mazak Quick Turn 350 / Manual No. H331MMA0020E, pages 5-12 & 5-13)
    but it's not very clear for a newbie. (Japanese English = "Jenglish") The sequence is accurate, but understanding which keys to press and how to find them is confusing.

Essentially, you unclamp the turret, rotate to the #1 position, and store that encoder reading as the reference position.

It took me about 2 hrs. but I finally figured it out.

Good luck,

emexcee380

Do you think the Turret drive is going out if I get it lined up and then when I cycle the turret it looses position?

Negative, Kuston1955.....

The following is my post from about 2 yrs. ago.

The 378 alarm indicates the voltage of the memory battery for the absolute position coder has dropped below 2.6 volts. If you're lucky enough to have the alarm occur when the machine is under power, it will be a good day. Simply leave the power ON and order a new 3.2 volt battery (Part. C52012 from Mitsubishi) and install it with the POWER ON.

If you've left the machine off for a long time and the battery has expired while the power is off, it's alot less fun. You've lost the reference (#1) position of the turret and must re-estabish it.

There's a recovery procedure in the Maintenance Manual (in this case, for the Mazak Quick Turn 350 / Manual No. H331MMA0020E, pages 5-12 & 5-13)
    but it's not very clear for a newbie. (Japanese English = "Jenglish") The sequence is accurate, but understanding which keys to press and how to find them is confusing.

Essentially, you unclamp the turret, rotate to the #1 position, and store that encoder reading as the reference position.

It took me about 2 hrs. but I finally figured it out.

Good luck,

emexcee380

The original problem we were having was the live tool would not release so it could not run the turning tool after the live tool cycle. We lined up the turret with the master in position one then cycle the turret any return to check the line up and it is off by more then 15 thousands. The original alarm was just a time alarm do to the live tooling not releasing. Thanks for any and all help.