585,932 active members*
3,582 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mill Project Questions

Hello all. I've been lurking here, well, for years actually. I'm a woodworker for the most part, but also do some metal working for various projects. I have a bridgeport clone and a south bend 9" that is in various stages of reconditioning. I also have an old 22" Voest that sorta scares me to death...

I used to work with a chair maker who built his own huge cnc router, and I found the idea of building your own machinery fascinating. That was years ago, and since then I've spent a great deal of time reading the posts here, collecting random parts, and have finally decided to plunge into a small build. I figure that materials and components are relatively inexpensive and abundant for a small machine, making this a good learning experience. Y'know, before I get to work on the 5-axis gantry router I'd love to have

I've decided to get to work on a small CNC mill, and would rather start from scratch rather than convert a chinese mill. My intent is to roughly follow the same build on 5 Bears website (www.5bears.com/cnc.htm) because I happen to have access to some heavy extruded aluminum columns and somewhere in one of these boxes I have an assortment of THK HSR25 & 30 linear bearings and rails. I also have a new set of Keling 382oz/in stepper motors that I acquired last year and I'm hoping the G540 drive will poke it's head into the market soon!

I need some spindle advice however. I've searched this forum over and over, and it seems like the search leaves me even more confused. I have the majority of the build figured out, roughly, but don't really know what I need in a spindle and motor. I'm not certain what size or speed I need, what type of controls are required, etc. My intent is to use the machine primarily for brass, and primarily small parts, hinges and whatnot. I build custom furniture and it's not unusual to have to make a custom set of knife hinges or tansu drawer pulls. Usually I make such hardware by hand, a timely process. In the past I've used bronze, aluminum, silver, and occasionally cast iron or mild steel, so I need this machine to be beefier than an engraver, but due to the small runs of parts I don't exactly need a 50,000rpm production oriented machine.

Also, and excuse my noob ignorance, but why does a spindle motor require a controller? Why not just a step pulley like a larger machine?

Any help y'all can send along will be much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeykid View Post
    Also, and excuse my noob ignorance, but why does a spindle motor require a controller? Why not just a step pulley like a larger machine?

Any help y'all can send along will be much appreciated!
    Most are replacing the stock motors(single speed/step pulley) for variable speed motors which require a controller and pot to adjust the speed.

Looking forward to watching the build....

Cheers,
    Jack
    Walking is highly over-rated

Right, that makes sense. I suppose spindle motors are typically DC then?

Depends how big the mill is. If it's tiny, DC is easy, I use a DC suds pump with a speed controller. If you have any size an AC motor is best, but without a zero crossover switch it can occasionally pull the mains circuit breaker if you switch on with your pulleys set for speed. That's a real pain if the computer is on the same circuit.

I think the best big solution is a digital phase converter, that way you get full power from slow to twice normal speed, soft start and braking, plus, you can set the speed from within the G code. OTOH the motor may need another motor to keep it cool when you run it slow.

The spindle is tricky, needs to have a taper inside for collets and chucks. A good reason to start with a non-cnc mill then convert it.

You can get ac controllers too. A lot of people use an ac controller to control a 3-phase ac motor from a single phase circuit.

Hopefully somebody who is smarter(electronics) then me will chime in here and help explain.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    Depends how big the mill is. If it's tiny, DC is easy, I use a DC suds pump with a speed controller.

I think the best big solution is a digital phase converter, that way you get full power from slow to twice normal speed, soft start and braking, plus, you can set the speed from within the G code.
    Ah yes, my Bridgeport has a Hitachi VFD, which I initially installed because I lacked 3 phase power, but it has proven very handy for speed control, braking, and acceleration/deceleration.

Without running any calculations, I would say I'm looking for 3/4 to 1 HP, 5000RPM tops. So if I have a 1.5HP, 3500RPM motor, and a 2:1 pulley setup I could control it with a VFD...

Any thoughts on the feasibility of buying a super X3 spindle from littlemachineshop.com and machining a boss for it? Obviously this would be an R8 taper, would it be more wise to pursue a spindle with a different taper? I remember looking into the Tormach R8 system, it looks like it's much more repeatable than standard R8 collets.

I saw a router build a while back with a X2 head on it. I believe was bought through LMS.

Whiskeykid,
    Take a look at LeeWay's Thread #32609.
    He used a lot of 80-20 with quality Linears & Screw's.
    His thread may give you some idea's.
    Good luck!!!

Instead of trying to modify a complete headstock, especially if you are already planning on replacing the mount and the motor assembly, you might look into just getting a cartridge spindle (its basically just all of the spindle guts self-contained in a tube, aligned, pre-loaded, and ready to go. There is usually a pulley shaft on one end and collet nut on the other). Mount it to the Z with a simple clamp and go. After that you can very simply build whatever type of mounting system and boss you want, and whatever motor. A lot easier than having to modify and use an entire head assembly casting off something else just to get the spindle guts, especially something like an X3 which has a whole lot of extra (and heavy) stuff you won't be needing like the quill.
    I recently went to using a Hitachi VFD for one of my spindle motors, and it is extremely handy, especially as it is easily controlled from software. Haven't had it installed for long now, but I haven't had any complaints at all yet and will likely do the same thing again.

Quote Originally Posted by Stepper Monkey View Post
    Instead of trying to modify a complete headstock, especially if you are already planning on replacing the mount and the motor assembly, you might look into just getting a cartridge spindle.
    I've been thinking along these same lines. I was considering building the cartridge around an R8 spindle from a super X3 machine, but am definitely keen to buy one pre-built if it's reasonably priced. As far as motors go, after reading some similar posts I ordered a 2.5 hp, 10,000rpm dc motor and a suitable controller from surplus house. It was cheap enough that if it turns out that it's underpowered I can find something else, chalk up the motor and controller costs to 'R&D'.

I've also started building the table. I looked at salvaging a cast table off a small mill or a cheap XY drill press table, but decided to mill my own from a piece of 1" mild steel. I'll post some pictures when I'm a bit further into it.

Does anyone have any ballscrew sources? I'd like to stay away from rolled screws and the pickings on e-bay seem to be thin. I'm thinking about 16-20mm diameter and one each of 24", 12", and 8" of travel.