585,715 active members*
4,288 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Lightbulb scaling up cnc plans

hi guys

i am new to this forum
    my first question is

is it possable to scale up the cnc plans to make a larger machine ?

thanks guys

Hi and welcome aboard.
    One of the BIG problems with just scaling is getting the engineering right.
    The footprint of the machine and its work envelope all determine the size of; the linear ways (so they don't flex and give you crappy resolution), the size and style of the linear drive (screws/belts/chain/racks), and naturally the size of the power supply, motors and drivers.

You - probably knew all that. Quite a few of the folks here build a first machine - to spec -- than learn from it and then build a larger machine using it to get the parts built. How big are you looking? 8x4 (feet) or? There are some other plans out there that can get you to a larger machine on first go if your want to jump right in at a bigger size.

Pretty sure other guys will chime in here too.
    :cheers: Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Can you point me to the large plans. I looked into this about a year ago and now I think I'm ready to build. I'd like to make 4x4 or 4x8 machine.

Do a search for Mechmate or Shopbot.....The owner/modifier of Mechmate doesn't like people changing "His" design so just pretend you're going to build it how he wants you to
    Keith

I saw that!

Actually, I welcome changes, provided that they are made with solid engineering thinking behind them.

Scaled up Rockcliffe

Hello Aspire....

I have recently finished a scaled up rockcliffe, but I modified it. I used samic linear bearings instead of oilites (easier to fit and align) although slightly more expensive.

Motors are NEMA 23s ~ 200 ozin. I am now about halfway through reading the MACH 3 instruction manual...

Hope the build goes well
    Rob

Any suggestion if I would like to scale down a model D (flying gantry)? I believe its more than just reducing the length of all the components by a factor.

Appreciate any help.

Regards,
    Wongster

Quote Originally Posted by robashley View Post
    Hello Aspire....

I have recently finished a scaled up rockcliffe, but I modified it. I used samic linear bearings instead of oilites (easier to fit and align) although slightly more expensive.

Motors are NEMA 23s ~ 200 ozin. I am now about halfway through reading the MACH 3 instruction manual...

Hope the build goes well
    Rob
    What! "reading a manual" call yourself a man...Pah you'll be asking directions next!

I'll get me coat.......

@ Wongster, to scale down is reduce the size of all components....although you may not want a 3mm leadscrew if you're "really scaling down"
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    @ Wongster, to scale down is reduce the size of all components....although you may not want a 3mm leadscrew if you're "really scaling down"

Hi Kipper,

Thanks for your reply. This is something I'm very new in. I'm trying to build a machine with footprint of 400mm x 4oomm. I'm concern about structural integrity if I scale everything down proportionally. eg. can the reduced x-axis bear the weight and movements of the z.

My guess is, though I'm reducing the overall length by a certain factor based on a plan, the thickness and width should be reduced by a lesser amount to maintain a certain level of stiffness.

Regards,
    Wongster