585,991 active members*
6,467 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New Machine from Town Labs

Some time ago, I asked about an essentially "turnkey" system from Town Labs (TL-12)that appeared to be a retrofitted Seig X-1. I received a very useful response that confirmed my suspicion about the origin and was decidedly less than complimentary about the mechanics but seemed to suggest that the servos and controls were decent.

It appears that they now have a new machine - TL-18. the X-1 column and head has been replaced by a linear slide arrangement with a 27,000 RPM (claimed) 3/4 HP variable speed motor. Ball screws on all axes etc. The base and XY assembly appears to be the same as or very similar to their earlier one.

http://www.townlabs.com/index.html

Anyone see/used one of these?

thanks

Pretorien

I will let you know right now that that is only good for endraving, some plastics and maybe soft wood. Look at it. it is very small.

I'm not sure I see this as much of an improvement, though I haven't seen engineering data to confirm or deny. In particular, the linear slides seem to me like they might be more susceptible to twisting than the original column, though they would resolve some issues that make adjusting the X1 gibs hard for this purpose.

More importantly what do you want to do with this machine? I have an X1 which I CNC'd using every cheapo trick in the book and am entirely happy with the results. If I was going to spend $2500 though I'm pretty sure I'd go some other way--Taig, KX1, X3 DIY CNC... that sort of thing.

i will say this, their 4th axis.... it sucks! I have the exact same table they are showing. Its a harbor freight/wholesale tool manual 4th axis converted with adapter for motor. The draw backs to the table are that it only has one bearing for the shaft. it has no front support. I made a bronze busing for mine. There is still alot of play . Also the worm gears have alot of backlash in them. (I am speaking about the stock off the shelf table.) I need something better!