585,575 active members*
3,627 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Need an info on South Bend Magnaturn 612

Need an info on South Bend Magnaturn 612

Hi

I just got a South Bend, Magnaturn 612, and know nothing about it.

I see a BNC connector on the side, is this the old 10 baseT thin net? or something South Bend came up with? requiering a special driver card?

I have the software, but it is on 5 1/4" floppies, a friend says he has a 5.25" drive, so if the disks are still any good I should be able to get the software.

When it is powered up (no computer connected), just the fan comes on, no other signs of life, is this normal or a bad sign?

Has anyone had one of these working?

Has anyone done a controller upgrade on one?

Any info much apreciated.
    Terry Mackintosh
    I use ASK (Active Spam Killer) so if you email me, expect a confirmation email back.

Magnaturn 612

I don't know a thing about them, Centroid did a retrofit on one and said it is one of the best bench top lathes thay had seen, makes accurate parts and fast. Is this the one that was on E-bay?

South Bend Magnaturn 612

Quote Originally Posted by hot knobs View Post
    I don't know a thing about them, Centroid did a retrofit on one and said it is one of the best bench top lathes thay had seen, makes accurate parts and fast. Is this the one that was on E-bay?
    Yes, it is the one from ebay, are you the one that ran the price up a $1000 in the last half minute? ... it's OK.

I do have the software read off the 5.25 floppies now.

However it is of no use to me as the controller was toast, looks like lightning damage.
    That said, I'm still very happy with the lathe, it is the most solid machine of it's size I have ever seen. And I would likely have upgraded the control anyhow, so it is no big deal that it is burned up.

I ordeded a new spindle speed control (also burned up) and have removed the mother board. I'm currently reading about how to setup EMC2 and plan to use that, still need to build or buy some sort of inbetween hardware.

I'm planning to use the stepper drive boards, even if they are damaged they are simple and I can repair them. I only need to make an interface for them, simple enough.
    Five phase steppers, interesting, I had to go do some research on the web on that one, never heard of 5 phase steppers before.

The only other thing burnt up was the low voltage power supply mounted on the right side of the cabinet. I just took it out as it will probably not be needed, and if it is, I can repair it, it does put out +5V, so is mostly working, probably just the final componets on the +/-12V part.

Make it a great day
    Terry

6-12

No I did not bid on it , to far away, have read what centroid had to say about them, good luck with it.

Hello Terry. I had just acquired a 612 from the local school, They are upgrading to a newer unit, it is in really good condition and I would like to get it working. They gave me the computer that was controlling it and the manuals but no software. I emailed to see if they could find it but they haven’t replied. I know it was recently working because I found a bill form Southbend for a new motor, door prox and a service tech $3200.00. I would like to try the software if it is available. Any help would be appreciated. Thank Cecil