585,764 active members*
4,144 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Motor driver CW250

Hello HELP NEEDED!!

I have a CW250 – 2 Phase Micro stepping Stepper Motor Driver and two wheel encoder modules (works with (5v) one left and the other right. The modules have 3 cables the red (+) the black (-) and the white (S). Can anyone tell me how to connect these together?

Thanks
    Victor

please reply to [email protected]

Not sure just what you are asking. The motor driver is pretty straight forward. 4 wires to the motor, a step and direction wire from the controller (parallel port break out board or whatever you are using), power and ground.

For the encoders, this is only a guess, but red is usually +Vin, black is ground, and the third wire is the signal. If this is right, you need to put +5v to the red wire and ground the black wire. The signal would then be across the white and black wires.

To hook this back to the controller, you need to define the input pins and have the software know that this is an encoder and how many pulses per revolution it will produce.

If you are wanting to hook up the encoders back to the motor driver, it does not work this way. The main reason you use stepper motors is that software manages the position by sending steps and assumes that the motor moved that many. No feedback loop is involved so a lot easier to build and manage. An encoder does the same thing but works in the opposite direction, the software counts the pulses sent from the encoder and keeps track of things that way but then has to manage the motor direction and speed based on this feedback. Mixing the two is harder to do as the techniques to manage things are different and many software programs don't do that well. It has been done but I couldn't tell you how or in what circumstances it was accomplished.

CW250

I have two drums, I one drum the wheel encoder is installed which is hand cracked. The other drum has the stepper motor installed with the CW250 controller so when I turn the first drum the other drum has to moves as well. I hope this explanation helps.