586,013 active members*
4,067 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

NCPlot v2.05 now available

NCPlot v2.05 is now available for download!

For a download link and the list of changes please go to www.ncplot.com/ncplotv2/download.htm

Here are a few of the changes in this version:

NCPlot v2.05 Release Notes
    July 19, 2008

Bug Fixes
    =======

Fixed a bug in the Mill G92 command. The shift values were not being set properly.

Fixed the "Error 52 - Bad File Name or Number" on startup. There were several reports of this and it was being caused by files in the recent file list that referred to drives that no longer existed.

Fixed the mouse pointer flickering while on the edit window. This was more noticeable on some machines than others.

The DXF reference geometry loader was skipping the last entity in the file, this is fixed.

General
    =====

The translation tools will no longer automatically refresh the viewport unless auto refresh is enabled. This works better when multiple translations are applied to large files.

The translation tools will now apply to each subprogram separately. When a new program is encountered in the file the modal state is reset.

NCPlot will now ignore values immediately after the block delete character "/". This makes it possible to plot programs that make use of multiple block deletes /1 /2 /3 etc...

Added support for G66 and G67 modal macro call. The command format is:
    G66 P_ Where P_ is the subprogram number

While active, this command causes the specified subprogram to be executed after any motion blocks. Any other addresses on the G66 block are passed to the subprogram as local variables. This command is modal and is cancelled by G67.

Double clicking the middle mouse button will now cause the view to zoom to extents.

NCPlot will now handle nested comments, ie. "(TOOL NUMBER 12 (.5IN_EM))"

Added support for system variable #3006. This variable works similar to variable #3000. It displays a macro message, but unlike #3000 it does not terminate the program.

Added support for system variables #4001-#4020 active modals.

Toolbars
    ======

There is a new menu toolbar. The new menu bar follows the look of the rest of the toolbars. The new menu bar also provides icons and a description in the status bar as you navigate the menus.

Enabled toolbar customizing. This feature Allows adding and removing buttons from the toolbars and also allows creating your own toolbars.

Viewport
    ======

The Zoom In / Zoom Out behavior has been changed. The old zoom behavior was to always zoom around the view center point, forcing you to pan the view if what you wanted to see wasn't at the center of the view. The new zoom behavior is to zoom around the current mouse pointer. This allows you to simply point at a feature and roll the mouse wheel to zoom in or out.

There is a new toolbar labeled "View Fade". This toolbar has a slider control that allows you to dim the colors of the backplot. All colors are affected except the currently selected tool. The current tool is updated when you pick an entity on the viewport or use any of the plot controls.

There is a new toolbar labeled "Animate Speed". This toolbar has slider control that allows adjusting the speed of the plot animation.

Improved the way the plot controls handle subprograms. The "Plot to Cursor" tool will now include subprograms up to the cursor position.

Added two new shortcut keys. The "T" key will advance the plot to the next tool, and the "R" key will rewind the plot to the previous tool.

File Menu
    =======

Added new print option "Print Selected Text".

Added menu item "Reset Toolbars". This will load the default toolbar layout.

Draw Menu
    ========

Added two new menu items, "Step to Next Tool" and "Step to Previous Tool". These work similar to Step Forward / Step Backward, but will advance the plot to end of the current tool.

Tools
    ====

On the "Tools" menu the "Show part info" menu item has been renamed to "Run Time Estimation"

The run time estimation window now has a button that will generate a printable run time estimation report. This report includes the part extents, a breakdown of machining time per tool and the total machining time.

Machine Configuration
    ================

On the "Control Options" page an option was added to allow changing the way addresses with no value are handled. When this option is enabled then addresses with no value are interpreted as having a zero value. When not enabled this will generate an error instead.

On the "Viewport Colors" page an option was added under the "Color by Tool" settings. The new setting is called "Use Global Rapid Color" and allows drawing rapid motions the same color regardless of tool. This is accompanied by a "Global Rapid Color" setting.

A new configuration page has been added called "Run Time Estimating". This page contains machine specific settings used for run time calculations.

Enjoy!

Scott

Your web page ain't working all day today, Monday

It's working OK for me, anybody else having trouble?

Here's a direct link to the download:

http://www.ncplot.com/ncplotv2/NCPlot_v205.exe

Thanks,
    Scott

Worked fine for me, 4:50PM central time.

Using version 2.05 on a Dell laptop under Win XP x64 may or may not be relevant.
    Just some observations any of which you may have addressed someplace or they may be the result of me working in my sleep.

If I click and release on the Step Back button very fast it will keep stepping back (at a rate that is not related to the animate speed) as long as the mouse cursor is held over the button. Move the cursor off the button and it stops, move back over the button and it starts again, the mouse button was only pushed the one time. Click on the button or anything else and it stops going backward.
    Push the mouse button at a slower, more normal push-release time and it just steps one time. Cannot get the Forward Step button to do this no matter how fast I push it.
    I did not find in the manual where this was the intended operation of the step backward.

This brings up the question of maybe giving the animate speed slider a stop position in the center with progressively faster forward speeds by pushing it to the right and faster backward speeds to the left.
    Also configurable min and max speeds and the mouse roller step size.
    Possibly an exponential option for find control at slow speeds and faster changes in speed at high speeds.
    Any way to get the change in speed to happen in real time and not wait till the slider is released?
    Mouse roller moves the slider but the new speed does not take effect until the slider is clicked on.

And maybe while the animation is free running the function of the roller button could be the animate speed and not the zoom, zooming while the animation is going really messes up the screen.

The following are general comments not related to 2.05

Also I have been playing with the Sub program associations.
    First thing to come to mind is maybe this could be in the machine configuration so that the same program number can be targeted at a different file for each machine.
    Second it is a bit tedious entering a lot of associations, any way to edit the database directly with a text editor?

When a program number is associated with a file it seems to just run the first program in that file even if it is the wrong one. It would be nice if a bunch of programs could be put in one file and have multiple program numbers associated with that file.

The view selections.
    The 3D user rotated view should I think be different from the isometric. And/or have some way to reset it to the starting angles.

Also one time (I may have been seeing things) I would swear it flopped into a left handed coordinate system. I spun it around a few times and the axis indicators were back pointing the directions I am used to seeing. This only happened one time while using 2.05 and I do not remember see anything like it in older versions so.

Problem on Vista

Hi Scott,
    Has anyone had any problems trying to install V2.05 on Vista. Install went in ok but got an error when trying to run. See attatched screenshot.
    Cheers Keith
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ncplot error.jpg  

Keith,

This file was excluded from the installer because of some confusion over whether it was OK to distribute. Turns out to not be a problem so I'm going to rebuild the installer to include this file. I'll have it ready for download tonight probably.

In the meantime the file can be manually installed by downloading it from here:

http://www.ocxdump.com/cgi-bin/testw...R/Richtx32.ocx

Copy the file to your "\Windows\System32\" folder and the software should run.

Thanks,
    Scott

thanks I have to say this is by far the best backploter/g-code editer i've found and you can't beat the price compared to software that can cost a small mint this is simple and affective thank Scott for the time you put into this keep up the good work

+1000.

This package has helped me learn code so fast. Without it I'd be stuffed!
    The speed Scott has developed this is outstanding.
    I don't know of any other company that listens to what we request, and implements it so fast.
    Hats off and keep up the excellent work!
    Thanks,
    Terry

Something Wierd going on

Quote Originally Posted by MetLHead View Post
    Keith,

This file was excluded from the installer because of some confusion over whether it was OK to distribute. Turns out to not be a problem so I'm going to rebuild the installer to include this file. I'll have it ready for download tonight probably.

In the meantime the file can be manually installed by downloading it from here:

http://www.ocxdump.com/cgi-bin/testw...R/Richtx32.ocx

Copy the file to your "WindowsSystem32" folder and the software should run.

Thanks,
    Scott
    Hi Scott,
    Got the ocx and seems to be all working fine, cheers. Or so i thought, got another sort of problem now. From within NCPlot i saved a file using 'save as' when the window opened i decided to make a new folder so i right clicked went to new and folder then saved file. Right heres the problem if i look for this folder in explorer its not there, but if i reopen ncp it is. Wierd.
    Good look on this one. If you have Vista or can get onto one see if same happens. Does some funny things this new os.
    p.s keep it up, ncplot's the best tool for writing macros ive used.
    have fun.
    Keith.

Keith,

I'm using Vista and I have seen the same thing happen here with other applications. There have been times when I've had to either refresh Windows Explorer (F5), or close it completely and re-open it to find the folder that I *know* is there. Doing one of these two things always does the trick for me.

Thanks,
    Scott

Unhappy Vista???????

Hello again Scott,
    I turned on my pc again today and the folders & files created through ncplot still invisible, the refresh,restart method dont work for me. Sorry i wont keep bothering you on this subject as it really doesnt seem to be an ncplot issue but have you heard of any fixes for this problem of magically invisible folders/files. Solutions or ideas from any one else who may have had this problem greatly appreciated. Had a look round web cant seem to find anything.
    Thanks
    Keith.

Keith,

That is definately strange, I don't think I've ever seen that. Do you have hidden files displayed in your Windows Explorer? It's under "Tools" / "Folder Options" on the "View" tab. Check the radio button that says "Show hidden files and folders". If it was hidden you should then be able to see it.

Scott

Thanks Scott now the direct link is working for me.

Gus.

Vista????????

Quote Originally Posted by MetLHead View Post
    Keith,

That is definately strange, I don't think I've ever seen that. Do you have hidden files displayed in your Windows Explorer? It's under "Tools" / "Folder Options" on the "View" tab. Check the radio button that says "Show hidden files and folders". If it was hidden you should then be able to see it.

Scott
    Hi Scott,
    Just to let you know all is well now, Yahoo. I uninstalled ncp then re downloaded install exe and this time clicked run as administrator when installing. Now everything runs fine and i can see folders when created in ncp. I just thought id try this as i have read some articles about vista user accounts, even though having administrator privileges they still dont have full rights to some things, i dont know loads about computers but a little logic worked this time. Prior to this i clicked the previous installed and registered ncp to run as administrator and it came up with the registration splash screen again. Thats where i got the idea.
    Thanks for your time anyway.
    Keith.