585,760 active members*
3,844 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Importing AutoCAD into MC9

Importing AutoCAD into MC9

Why cant i see the geometry when I import a .dwg/.dxf into Mastercam 9. I followed the steps in the help document, but i cannot see the part. Any suggestions?

are you sure that the version of DWG is not newer version then the MC9 can support?
    Share your file and I will see if I can open it.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

I have saved both a .dwg and .dxf back to ACAD 2000 format. Do i need to save it back further? I have attached the .dwg.
    Attached Files Attached Files

It makes a difference of what version of MC8 you are using. I would take it back to R14.

PS here is your file.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Could you please write out a step by step, I am using MC9. I have taken it back to R12.dxf and still no geometry. Here are the steps, I must be missing something in between.

Main Menu
    File
    Converters
    Autodesk
    Read file

What version of V9, ex V9,0 or 9.1, or 9.1 mr105?
    Cadcam

Version 9.0
    Wierd thing is I can open a .stp and .sldprt, but cannot open .dwg/.dxf or .prt.

well not really weird its all about the version of Stp and SW files. you will not be able to open for example a SW2006 or 2007 files or Stp version 17,18 or 19. I was able to open the file with no trouble in MC X2 mr2 sp1 and X3 as I do not have V9 on this laptop. also the version of MC you are running 9.0 has many issues you should upgrade,
    Cadcam

Talking In your zip file.

When in autocad save your file as a .DWG file. NOT .MC9
    DO NOT SAVE AS name...MC9. That will confuse things. Don't call an orange a banana.
    In MC9 file, converters, autodesk, read file and read the .DWG file
    It worked for me.
    Rename your file in the zip will most likely work.

Some programs are smart enough to look in the file and figure out the format used. Some just use the lazy cr@p file extension means a file is a certain type. Just because I choose an extension for a file (and it is my computer and my choice) is no reason for the OS to assume what I want to do with the file, just like MC9 should not just assume .MC9 belongs to it, and does not recognize it because it had .DWG stuff in it. If all file had headers it would all work so much better, but Bill Gates & Co decided you could double click a file even if multiple programs used that extension.
    1. New program breaks old program. Good strategy. Old stuff broke. Buy new stuff. New stuff broke. By new computer. Back to 1. Bah humbug !
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

First check the Screen - Statistics.
    Are there any entities reported at the bottom of the screen?
    That will tell you if you have any data being imported.

If you have entities, I would try changing the video card properties.
    In Windows - Right click on the desktop - Properties - Settings (tab) - Advanced - Trouble Shoot- Move the acceleration slider down 1 notch. Save the settings. Go Back into Mastercam and check it again. You may need to restart Mastercam.

If that does not work, do it again. Slide it down to the next notch. Continue until you at the end of the slider, or you see geometry.

What type of graphics card is it?
    Right click on the desktop - Properties - Settings (tab) - Display:

ANOTHER POSSIBILITY:
    Screen - Chg Colors - All - Entities.
    You may have black geometry on a black background.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Mfg.
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

Also... V9.0 (yeesh)! You should get a V9.1 sp2 disk from your reseller. That is the last version before maintenance. I'm pretty sure there might have been issues for DXF/DWG file in V9.0

I'm have one in my library. Email me if you need a copy.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More

Thanks for all the input. Im pretty sure its the software, there werent any entities reported. Ive asked about the service pack, hopefully I get that and it fixes the problem. Thanks again, Im sure there will be more questions

I don,t want to sound silly but did you try to fit it to the screen

Quote Originally Posted by tsbfishing1 View Post
    I don,t want to sound silly but did you try to fit it to the screen
    You know not silly I see this all the time. I say check screen statistics to see if any thing is there.
    Cadcam

Question Zoom all

The zoom fit screen icon (with 4 arrows).
    It might be hiding a an invisible dot.

Screen - Endpoints (in V9) is another way to see the tiny points or endpoints of lines and arcs.

Mike Mattera