586,000 active members*
4,747 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

what type of control

I have an ESAB router (1990 vintage) that came fitted with an Autopath 750 hand controller. You produced your cut file on the computer (in the office, i.e. nice and clean) and then downloaded the cut file via the dnc link to the Autopath 750 hand controller. The hand controller can store quite a few cut files in memory and was happy to do it's job all day long in it's dusty environment. It has a small key pad and lcd screen showing present x/y/z coordinates. It seems that the majority of systems that people talk about here on this web site seem to have an expensive computer/screen/keyboard sitting next to a dusty machine. I'll soon be upgrading my machine and I've been talking to Erie from shelbyvilledesign who has been very helpful. He, like the majority here seem to favour the computer next to the router type set up. I don't disagree with this set up and if that's what most do than I'll do the same. I'll probably go with mach 2 or onecnc and gecko or rutex and I'm not overly restricted by budget. I just want to do it making the best choice for my particular needs. Anyway regarding the hand controller matter, there are several points to consider. If I go with computer next to machine I'll probably use a "dirt bag" cover as suggested by Matt (Rekd).The other question is do I need a good computer to drive the machine or can I get away with a cheapy (P2000 for example).
    (A) If I try to go with computer inside and hand controller outside: positive: I don't have to have an expensive computer outside in the dust. negative: I doubt that I'll be able to hook up the existing hand controller to the new mach2/gecko setup. (although I would consider buying another brand of hand controller that was mach2/gecko compatible if I thought this was the best route to take)
    (B) If I go with the computer beside the machine route: positive: better control of machine???, real time graphic display of tool path. negative: expensive computer sitting in a dusty environment.
    What's your thoughts everyone?
    Phil
    p.s. This is a great web site and I really enjoy the creative minds of the likes of ynneb (fellow aussie) and vacpress and everyone in general.

It seems to me, a PC today only costs $400 complete.
    Or, if your budget won't allow that, buy used.
    In todays automated mfg shop, a PC here and there is the least of your cost issues. They are so cheap these days, almost disposable.

I wonder about those dirt bags and fine dust, do they filter out that much?
    Scott_bob

Bob, thanks for your reply. A new hand controller will cost me a lot more than a new computer should I decide to take that route so cost really isn't an issue for me. I was just wondering if anyone had set their machine up that way and why. It seems however that the idea of the computer being inside and then sending the cut files to the hand controller is no longer what's done and so I will more than likely follow suite.
    Phil

Thanks Phil for the rap, I would have never considered myself as you described me.
    I really do miss Vacpress, he was on fire in his time here. He really was an inspiring character.

I think that most people use computers these days because they are cheap and you are not stuck with paying through the nose for propriety equipment.
    You seem to be concerned with the dust factor. I have my computer a long way from the router. I use a printer extension cable. About 10M long. While it can be a bit annoying been that far from the router it certainly keeps the computer at a safe distance. There is the possibility to get a cordless keyboard so that you can bring it closer to the machine. The other possibilty is to make up your own hand controller that uses the guts from the cordless keyboard. I guess the negative is that you wont have a digital read out with it.

You suggested possibly a p2000. That would be more than adequate. I happily use a p500 and that does the job fine for me. The latest version of Mach2 however suggests the minimum of a p800 cpu.

I will pay you later for the nice comment.
    Being outside the square !!!

It looks like you use it to earn butter for your bread?
    Then look for an industrial(ized) computer. In your case I guess you have space enough, so using an office PC inside an IP65 cabinet could be a solution, then in combination with a flat-panel screen inserted in the cabinet door. You can even get them in sealed versions that can be hosed down. I would not let an office PC sit out in a production environment with a cloth bag over it. Especially if welding, flame cutting or grinding goes on there. One thing is keeping out "appartment rabbits", another is the dust in such an environment. And are those dirtbags compatible with sparks?

Even in my hobby basement workshop the office PC is just to figure out how much CPU, RAM, etc. I need. When that is figured out, it will go into a sealed cabinet. Hopefully I can do with 1MHz Pentium, or getting rid of the heat will be a problem. It can be dealt with though using a Peltier Element (a solid state heat pump).

I'll use a flat screen with touch. Just because I have it. But it will be interesting to see if it's possible to see the screen without wiping it all the time. I have some doubts.

Here's what I generally recommend:

1) rack mounted pc, with extensive filtering (if budget allows, otherwise, you can get creative with cabinetry, but remember shop time is $$$$)

2) fixed control pendant with basic controls, cycle start, pause, rewind, z inhibit (dry run), e-stop, feed rate overide, spindle,vac, and dust collector controls.

3) hand pendant connected to 2, with jogging and ref all (start here!)
    controls.

this arrangement works best on larger machines for production type work, if you primarily do one offs, there are some advantages to having other controls on the hand pendant.

You've got to remember, we're not talking table top milling machine here,
    we're talking big machines, my working area is 8'x12'. what works with a small machine doesn't always scale up easily. ( or safely!)

erie
    www.shelbyvilledesign.com

Ynneb, did I miss something important here? When you say (in past tense) "I really do miss Vacpress, he was on fire in his time here. He really was an inspiring character" What's happened to him? He's still alive I hope.

Phil Mc

Hello guys!
    Well, finally i got installed the EMC software! Not with a CD, simply installing a clean DEBIAN an then installing EMC.
    It seems great, but i have a question: may i use simple PHASE-DRIVERS with it?
    I have dir-step too, but on a new project i am intending to use cheap phase-drivers to control some small steppers...
    Thanks for help. You guys ar great!