584,826 active members*
5,068 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

RC Car Gearbox Casing

I have an old 1/9 scale Kyosho Toyota 4 Runner - gas powered, which has a CCVT gearbox (really is a continuously variable transmission with Neutral, Forward speeds and Reverse).

The transmission is mechanically shifted using a servo.

However, due to the material used for the case (hard clear-ish plastic):
    1) It starts leaking at the feet (where it's attached to the chassis) because the screw holes crack
    2) The top post where the shift linkage is mounted breaks because the post is plastic and it breaks over time.

I'm thinking of coming up with a replica using aluminum. It would be stronger and would look way cool (anodized black maybe)

Challenges are:
    1) A clear plastic/acrylic window on the side would be nice or a dipstick to measure the oil capacity
    2) The internal structure of the shell is pretty complicated

The seal between the shells does not have to be fancy, we could just use RTV gasket maker

Attached are some pictures, I will post more details later.

You can see that in this picture, the top post is already broken.

Please let me know what you think about this idea. I had taken a class in CAD design (using Pro E) so I could do some of the design if I can get my hands on a CAD software.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CCVT-1.jpg   CCVT-2.jpg   path_3.jpg  

If its one of, wouldn't it be easier to just mill it

Quote Originally Posted by Guldberg View Post
    If its one of, wouldn't it be easier to just mill it
    Don't I still need a CAD design or can I just take the original part to a machinist who can then setup the machine manually?

You would still need a 3D CAD drawing. When you draw it, consider if the inside could be made simpler

Quote Originally Posted by holson View Post
    Don't I still need a CAD design or can I just take the original part to a machinist who can then setup the machine manually?
    Nah, just take it to the shop as is. I do that kind of work all the time and even though the machine shop will have to take dimensions for themselves, chances are they'll do it more accurately than you would at home. Just be sure to bring all the internal pieces too~
    EXIT 85 Manufacturing "The best custom wheels, period" (www.exit85.com)
    Experts in low volume, highly complicated, one-off forged aluminum wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Guldberg View Post
    You would still need a 3D CAD drawing. When you draw it, consider if the inside could be made simpler
    A good shop will have software to make this. Just make sure the shop that does it has a good reputation and remember a one of might cost a lot.

I two have been doing some work in the RC market and it is a lot of fun.

Good Luck!
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Re: RC Car Gearbox Casing

The RC car gearbox casing serves as the protective housing for crucial components, ensuring smooth operation and longevity. Its design directly impacts performance, with durability being a prime consideration. Whether it's for hobbyists or competitive racers, a sturdy gearbox casing is essential for optimal power transfer and minimal wear. Checking compatibility with different models is made easier through resources like VinDecoder site carfast, aiding enthusiasts in selecting the right casing for their specific RC car needs.