585,605 active members*
3,206 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > ALARM shuttle drawbar alarm haas
Page 1 of 2 12

ALARM shuttle drawbar alarm haas

For some reason during a tool change the spindle gets ready to load or unload the tool from the changer and just stops and gets an alarm with the spindle still in the carousel.

i have 100psi air at the regulator but the error mentions the drawbar not releasing.

anyone have any suggestions.

thank you in advance.

tim
    2007 Haas TMP-1 Microscribe MX-5 Mastercam X4 Mill Level 3 Surfaces,Solids Seagate 2 tb hard drive AMD 64x2 8gig ram windows ultimate 7 64bit Geoforce 8800 GTX

Solenoid valve not working???

Do you hear the release cylinder operate?

What happens when you load or unload a tool using the manual release?
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Geof i just noticed the error message says tool clamp fault.

will manually release and load tool,

when auto tool change i hear the airsolenoid open and airr hiss then error message.

i will go listen for the release cylinder.

thank you
    2007 Haas TMP-1 Microscribe MX-5 Mastercam X4 Mill Level 3 Surfaces,Solids Seagate 2 tb hard drive AMD 64x2 8gig ram windows ultimate 7 64bit Geoforce 8800 GTX

i dont think i heard the release cylinder operate,just the air solenoid opening and the air releasing.

found the servicew manual got some info to start looking.

134 (M) TOOL CLAMP FAULT - While Unclamping, the tool did not release from spindle when commanded.
    Check air pressure, solenoid circuit breaker CB4, and for maladjustment of the draw bar assembly.

checked the breakers there fine,air solenoid appears to be working(it loads manually) something leads me to believe it may be a switch.

i geus i will look in the direction of the last thing on the list maladjustment of the drawbar assy, i wonder how i do that?

still not working

But you can take the tool out by hand with the manual release?

That has me puzzled.

I have had tools give the unclamp fault because of a faulty solenoid valve. I have had the same fault because the tool was too tight in the taper after the spindle cooled. But in both cases the manual release would not work either; just a clack but the tool would not come out.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

for some reason i think it has something to do with a proximity sensor or switch of some sort,although i am not getting an error message for a switch i cant explain why most everything else checks out.

calling haas is out of the question as i dont have the money to pay them(how you can constantly make parts and not have enough money to fix the machine is beyond me too,this gig is tough),i guess i will be getting a crash course in learing how to diagnose and repair this machine because it will be down until i do.

thank you very much for all your assistance i am going to go look at the relays and parameters on the control and see if i cant figure somethin out.

tim

Tim,

PM awesome83, he will get you on the right track.

Vern

one thing i noticed on the machine i have 1 switch as noticed in the attached photo stays lit when the shuttle is in or out it doesnt go out,the other switches go out when metal gets near them.

do you think this is the defective swithch or is it always stay lit?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails machine-switch.jpg  

i removed the umbrella motor and verified both proximity sensors work. the front works off of the carosel turning and the one on the motor is triggered twice per revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Smith View Post
    Tim,

PM awesome83, he will get you on the right track.

Vern
    thank you i will do.

Chris Rumble has provided me with some email support that has been very helpful in regards of where to look.

i an going to try a few things if that doesnt work i will pm awesome83.

thank all of you very much for your help.

well i dissasembled every thing i could get my hands on even the solenoid,cant find anything wrong.

i may be crazy form the long hours working on this thing but it seems like it wants to release the tool,the spindle hovers for a couple seconds then it clamps back onto the tool and alarms out,all while in the tool carousel.

maybe something in the z axis i dont know,i guess i will sleep on it.

thanks for all the suggestions.

tim

If you remove the z axis front cover there is a valve you see in front of the tool release piston. Attached to this valve is a small diverter? I think 1/4 line runs into it. (small looks like a relief valve kind of hard to describe I believe is for the precharge) there is a rubber diaphram that goes bad in there which causes the trp to retain air pressure not fully releasing the trp which throws this alarm.

It is this part # "59-2832B Quick exhaust 1/4" It is located after the valve and it T's the air to the piston when the valve is open and exhaust it through the 1/4 inch line when released. if his is bad it will not allow the return spring of the trp to allow the piston make the tool clamp switch. This is only on the umbrella style tool changers.

i bet you thats it,the only thing i havent done was take the z axis front cover off,i have looked at it a few times but it looked time consuming to get it off,so i was saving it for last.

i will check it out tomorrow.

thank you so very much for your reply.

sorry i could not sleep had to go out and remove the z axis front cover(wow there is a lot of stuff in there,noticed another solenoid i didnt know was there) definately things became clearer once the cover came off.

first i noticed a loose bolt laying at the bottom of the spindle casting.

then i noticed a loose proximity sensor for the drawbar release laying awry.

enclosed are photos of my findings.

Geof will recall the first trouble i had with this machine the z axis proximity sensor bolt vibrated loose and when i booted up the machine the next morning crash.

ironically enough when the haas service tech was out on that at the time warranty call i said "do you think we should check the other switches to make sure there tight?"

he responded nahh they will be allright.

i said dont they use loctite on these bolts?

he said sometimes they do sometimes they dont.

this obviously was the case they didnt lol.

i am very relieved it is a simple fix,i also feel better as i am learning more on how to service and care for the machine (takes some edge off when theres a problem).

attached is photos of our problem.

i want to extend a sincere thank you to all who have helped in this time of need.
    god bless you.

tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc-machine-005webready.jpg   cnc-machine-006webready.jpg   cnc-machine-007webready.jpg   cnc-machine-008webready.jpg  

Glad it was an easy fix. The part I was talikng about is clearly visible in the third pic but that is assuming all prox's are working.Did you buy your machine used? It looks as though you are missing one drive spindle belt.

Tim,

I can send you the 11 pages covering the ATC from the current Haas service manual if you have not found the problem. I can fax them or email you .pdf files. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Vern

Page 1 of 2 12