585,997 active members*
5,068 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Will a Hypertherm 600 work?

Looking to purchase a Plasma cutter and wondered if a Hypertherm 600 plasma machine would work. It has Contact start arc initiation.
    :withstupi
    Thanks,
    Mick

Mick,

You ask "if a Hypertherm 600 would work"......what are you planning to use it for?

The "contact start ignition" is Hypertherm's method of ionizing the air in the plasma torch..contact is made betwen the electrode and nozzle inside to torch to create a short circuit spark....that allows the pilot arc to fire.

This process uses an intense piolot arc that will blast through primer, paint, masking, rust scale, etc., allowing the arc to quickly transfer and cut metal whether it is a hand held or mechanized application.

The Powermax600 is now superceded by the new Powermax45 system with more power, higher cut speeds, thicker capacity and longer consumable life. Here is a link to info about the new Hypertherm plasma: https://www.hypertherm.com/powerfulplasma/

Best regards, Jim Colt

Jim,

I guess I was asking if this would be a good medium range machine for my plasma table and easy to hook up. I have not run the machine yet, and do know the Hypertherm 1000 is an easy hook up but, I don't need the extra cut capacity. I plan on running the machine twice a week tops cutting no more than 3/8ths. Most of the time it will be 12-14 gauge steel.

Thanks!
    Mick

The thickness range you are talking about would be ideal for either the Powermax600 or the new Powermax45. The 600 is more difficult to interface as it does not have a machine motion output (also known as "arc good" or arc on signal) the Powermax45 and the Powermax1000 do have this signal available.

Jim

Thank you for helping make my decision easier!

Mick