586,000 active members*
5,036 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Is it worth the bother

Is it worth the bother

When a person asks for help, I think anyone with a sense of assistance would reply to their plea.

But why oh why, when you reply to their cries for help, you get no response back. It is only common courtesy to acknowledge the trouble you have gone to for their cause. Or maybe just inform you that that isn't the information they require.

It seems to me, they don't want help at all, they want you to do the whole package, design, plans and manufacture.

I get a lot of this asking for assistance, the latest one from a US government department, asking for help to combat terrorism. Even though I come from the UK. Unfortunately, I am not in a position to help them at this time. But they have been informed, that in the near future, if still needed, I should be able to help with their problem.

I for one, am now very reluctant to reply to requests for help on this site.

John

I have given and received a lot of help on many different forums - laser, cnc, sandcarving, dye sublimation, etc. I don't get too troubled by someone not acknowledging my help but it's probably because I'm guilty of not acknowledging the help I have received. I try to reply to everyone who helps me but sometimes things come up and I don't reply. It could be as simple as forgetting or procrastinating, or maybe I haven't had a chance to test the suggestion yet and when I finally do I forget to go back and thank them.

None of these are GOOD excuses, but they are the truth. It certainly isn't because I'm not grateful, that's for sure.

I don't know who you are, never ready any of your posts, but I would encourage you to continue to share you knowledge without it being contingent on getting a reply. It's very possible that someone else will read your reply and get an answer to a question that they were going to ask.

Thanks for contributing!

Gary

That's right, there are so many places in the cnc zone now and just other forums in general that it is very easy to forget which ones you may have been in.

I for one have gained way more from CNCZone and other forums, than I contribute. I try to think of it lik ethis. are you looking to help or are you looking to get credit for helping?

My Equipment:
    Gerber Edge II www.gspinc.com
    Gerber envision
    Vortech Router www.vortechcnc.com
    Roland Versacamm www.rolanddg.com

My Software:
    Corel X3
    Vectric Vcarve Pro www.vectric.com
    Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop
    Mach www.machsupport.com
    Gerber Omega

Quote Originally Posted by bogstandard View Post
    When a person asks for help, I think anyone with a sense of assistance would reply to their plea.

But why oh why, when you reply to their cries for help, you get no response back. It is only common courtesy to acknowledge the trouble you have gone to for their cause. Or maybe just inform you that that isn't the information they require.

It seems to me, they don't want help at all, they want you to do the whole package, design, plans and manufacture.

I get a lot of this asking for assistance, the latest one from a US government department, asking for help to combat terrorism. Even though I come from the UK. Unfortunately, I am not in a position to help them at this time. But they have been informed, that in the near future, if still needed, I should be able to help with their problem.

I for one, am now very reluctant to reply to requests for help on this site.

John
    Ahh you told them to stockpile Pb on the ISS and they will get to the Moon eventually? good call.............
    Keith

Hang in there, I give a lot of help here and on other furums and get a lot too. Sometimes I think that people who get help run off with the solution in a "eureka!" moment and forget to come back and say thanks. I'm sure it's not ungratefulness or bad manners.. just forgetfullness.

As previously posted you reply might be searched by others with a similar problem so posting is always worthwhile.
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Make no mistake, in helping others, you solidify the concepts you know and think thru problems that you may have otherwise just delt with. In teaching, you learn. (But I'm a helpee here, not a helper?).

Great Northern

Northern, just by posting that you're a helper, you've encouraged others to help

We all have engineering problems that sometimes are too close too see. Posting it here on the forums gets another point of view on that problem and provides another perspective.

Keep sharing stuff folks, it's for the best, we're all just monkeys that have fallen from the trees.

What helps me helps you and vice versa.

Personally I will always help if I can, we all started somewhere and it is easy to forget the "new guys" and leave them to it, but the way I see it is that if this forum didn't exist I wouldn't ever have got my router finished, nor ever been able to build one like my second one will be.

I have always found people on this forum will help out willingly, and I hope to be able to do the same for others. Sure you get a lot of people that just want you to build the whole thing for them and get peeved off and never give a word of thanks when you expect them to put ANY effort in at all, but for every person like that you get two or three that really appreciate your help and openly say so.

I guess if I expect help from the guru's on this site I should really help out where I can for others, what goes around and all that.

Cheers.

Russell.

Nice one Epineh. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Here's a situation I was in today:

I had a sub-contractor who made some parts wrong.

Now, I've known this guy for over 10 years. We both could not understand HOW they were made wrong.

We spoke voice to voice, as engineers, trying to sort the problem.

It's not sorted yet, but I am sure it will be without blame

Talking to each other sorts problems and makes sure they don't happen again.

So, in answer to the original question of "Is it worth the bother"... YES it is, your help might go unanswered in the short term, but the chap who got the help might be wondering how to thank you and may have forgotten the Thread that it was in

If we dun help each other then we all become a bit less intelligent (like my bloody ex g'friend lol who was two pies short of a tray at Xmas lmao).

Well said.